Stanford Health Care

There are newer employer reviews for Stanford Health Care

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly qualified, educated and competent staff who wish to provide excellent care to the patients.

Cons

Management team not qualified in bringing out the best in their staff. Management very critical and demeaning

Management through fear never works. Goals change constantly to create the illusion there is never failure. No focus - all over the map. Gave only one star because the program demanded a rating. Zero stars were my first choice.

106 Other Employee Reviews for Stanford Health Care (View Most Recent)

Salary

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time

Pros

good, great employees, work balance

Cons

Too many projects running simulteously

Better than most hospitals, still not great

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Stanford Health Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay/benefits, good ratios. Surrounded by smart people, the latest technology and research. You will see every procedure, every disease out there, lots of opportunities to learn. Good amount of resources and staff (except for CNAs, really understaffed in that one area for some reason). High emphasis on education and advancement, seems like every RN I meet is either already a CNS or NP or studying to be one (yet still working as an RN, either because the pay is better or there aren't enough jobs for all these "advanced" nurses being churned out). I believe there will be good opportunities for advancement, because there are TONS of advanced practice and management positions for nurses (seems like there are more "managers" or "specialists" than clinical staff sometimes, and I have no idea what most of them do). I LOVE my boss, but not sure how universal that is.

Cons

The doctors (mostly residents) are terrible to work with as a nurse, they are incredibly condescending and difficult to reach and seem to take little interest in actual patient care. They are either too busy or too unconcerned to answer pages from nurses or take the time to explain things to patients. If you get a response, it's usually,"I'll have to talk to my attending" and you and the patient never hear from them again. As a result, I witness a lot more patient complaints and nurse burnout than at other hospitals. I get the least amount of respect and autonomy as a nurse at Stanford compared to other hospitals where I've worked, and I hear this from many nurses. It is stressful to have to field complaints frequently and not be able to do anything about it (ex: I've never seen so many family members YELLING about waiting so long for the doctor to call back about pain meds, and I've worked in some crappy places). The patients frequently complain that they've seen 20 doctors, everyone says something different, the doctor says they'll be back and they never are, and the patients have no idea what's going on with their care. And why are rounds at 6-8 a.m. but visiting hours don't start until 11, that seems like an almost intentional attempt to exclude family from participating?!

Yes, the nurses can be entitled and spoiled sometimes, especially the long-time Stanford nurses or new grads. Travelers and recent hires from other hospitals know how lucky they are. The union seems greedy, petty, and entitled- they embody and perpetuate the negative stereotype that doctors and other staff have about nurses.

I like the major focus at Stanford on quality improvement, but unfortunately, that usually creates more hassles as management tries to "fix" things and more complexity is added (more checklists for nurses to complete, more charts and processes to memorize, more meetings) where simplicity would be more effective. This is a problem common to all hospitals, but I expected Stanford to be better at it, given that they have so many people working on it. Isn't the point of Kaizen and 5S to make things more simple? I don't need another color-coded chart telling me how to do my job, I need another CNA and better stocking so I don't have to spend an hour looking for supplies every day.

If you want better patient satisfaction scores and patient throughput, the doctors need to be forced to put patient care first by spending more than 1 minute in the patient's room, communicating effectively with the patients and nurses (responding to pages in a timely manner, respecting the thoughts of the nurses who spend 12 straight hours with the patient to your 1 minute). If the residents are constantly too busy to answer pages, something needs to change. We are a hospital, not just a learning institution, patient care keeps the lights on. And maybe if the doctors could communicate with the patients a bit better about their hospital course and discharge, we wouldn't always have problems with overcrowding.

There are newer employer reviews for Stanford Health Care