Stanford University
www.stanford.edu Stanford, CA 5000+ Employees

Great place to work but little on-campus career opportunities for non-tenure track staff

Staff Scientist (Former Employee)
Stanford, CA

ProsBright people and interesting research projects, beautiful walkable campus, a lot of dining and recreation opportunities, 24 vacation days per year starting second year including two weeks of Winter break, separate sick leave, competitive salary considering generous benefits, decent public transportation options including free Caltrain and VTA passes.

ConsDespite enormous endowment administration is not willing to invest university money into research infrastructure, waiting for grant funding which has been abysmal in past few years; there are no long term career development opportunities for professional staff on campus other than finding another job elsewhere; few people are interested in team work; parking may be a hassle.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more money into development of shared research facilities and do better job to keep the facilities independent so that no faculty get control or preferential treatment.

Assistant Professorship, challenging but rewarding and energizing experience

Assistant Professor (Former Employee)
    Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Stanford University full-time for more than a year

Pros: Culture, weather, friendliness, benefits, mentorship, resources Cons: Salaries, high cost of living Advice to Senior Management: Increase salaries by about 25% Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Summer Lecturer - Loved it!

Visiting Lecturer (Current Employee)
    Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University part-time for less than a year

Pros: Great pay, support and environment for a summer ESL lecturer. The program was amazing, the students were diligent, and… Cons: Only that it was a temporary assignment. Advice to Senior Management: Keep it up! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Stanford University.

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stanford University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stanford University CEO John L. Hennessy. All reviews posted anonymously by Stanford University employees.