There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University

Great education. Variable work environment.

Current Employee - PhD Student in Stanford, CA
Current Employee - PhD Student in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sort of free schedule as a graduate student. Some PI's are better than others. It's great to get payed while getting degrees, however.

Cons

I work 50-70 hours per week for a new professor. I see other students doing more like 40-50, I see still others sleeping in lab. If you're committed and love what you do it's fine.

Give professors a crash course in management before turning them loose on unsuspecting graduate students. 4 hours weekly lab meetings that starting at 5pm without giving dinner is a little silly.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Value

Former Employee - PhD Student in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - PhD Student in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Stanford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The name of the university can get you anywhere and is internationally impressive. Many funding and resource opportunities, and a generally supportive environment from peers. Campus is so beautiful and proximity to stores and restaurants is great.

Cons

Your individual experience really depends on your department and mentors. Everyone is really brilliant and driven, so at first (if you're a student), it may be intimidating--just stay motivated and confident!

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Outreach Coordinator in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You definitely feel like you are part of something great when you look at all the research and innovation going on around you. Always so much going on - free lectures and conferences on fascinating topics. Great health benefits. Great employee incentives for staying active and healthy, including deeply discounted fitness classes on campus. Free Caltrain and VTA passes.

Cons

Some dysfunction in groups and administration, but that is common everywhere. Parking and getting to buildings in the middle of campus can be difficult and time consuming, but not enough to deter anyone from working there.

There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University