Stanford University

There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University

Administrative Side: Great Bennies, Poor Learning

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Stanford, CA
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome - AWESOME - bennies and environment. Headline salary trails somewhat but total comp is one of the very, very best. A place you could happily finish your career.

Cons

Very little job knowledge learning applicable outside Stanford. Internal administrative infrastructure and procedure is dated and very, very slowly catching up. A place you may have to finish your career.

842 Other Employee Reviews for Stanford University (View Most Recent)

Great education. Variable work environment.

Current Employee - PhD Student in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - PhD Student in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Sort of free schedule as a graduate student. Some PI's are better than others. It's great to get payed while getting degrees, however.

Cons

I work 50-70 hours per week for a new professor. I see other students doing more like 40-50, I see still others sleeping in lab. If you're committed and love what you do it's fine.

Give professors a crash course in management before turning them loose on unsuspecting graduate students. 4 hours weekly lab meetings that starting at 5pm without giving dinner is a little silly.

Great Value

Former Employee - PhD Student in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - PhD Student in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Stanford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The name of the university can get you anywhere and is internationally impressive. Many funding and resource opportunities, and a generally supportive environment from peers. Campus is so beautiful and proximity to stores and restaurants is great.

Cons

Your individual experience really depends on your department and mentors. Everyone is really brilliant and driven, so at first (if you're a student), it may be intimidating--just stay motivated and confident!

There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University