Stanford University

www.stanford.edu
  www.stanford.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University

Strong benefits, salaries good but not great - Works well for people on second careers

Current Employee - Associate Director in East Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Associate Director in East Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

tuition benefit after 5 years is unique in the portfolio of benefits; there is a great deal of support for continued educational development and health and fitness; The intellectual interchange possible on the job and during non-work time keeps one's mind sharp.

Cons

The university is very hierarchical and political in structure; programs and processes are often based upon what's always been done versus what should be done; change is slow to come in some organizations; many of the administrative staff are not best skilled resources due to preference given to internal candidates for openings whether the candidate is strongest resource or not

Seek a stronger organizational model which balances central control with decentralized autonomy to maximize creativity while leveraging economies of scale to reduce costs

751 Other Employee Reviews for Stanford University (View Most Recent)

Suddenly Going Dumb or I have worked my butt off for over 20 years to be treated like a sub human!

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

The ombudsman was good when you had a complaint. Working with the professors was an easy task when you learned their quirks. The worker students were nice and some..some people would at least wait a month until they stuck the knife in. Get professors to write recommendations just incase. Looks good on your resume!

Cons

The management - Petty, picky, incompetent and if you didn't side with them then your career was dead! When the supervisor and manager are best buds and they only give one day training and then expect you to run the office while they go out and have playmates with the students..Good Luck! They make your 20 years of hard work as an admin suddenly seem like you should apply for disability. Some managers on campus even make you write a report on a daily basis to tell them how many transactions you have completed, how many are still on your plate and what your goals will be the following day. Remember to cross your "t's" and dot your "i's" because you will be written up if you don't or just wait until you are fired and notice that your termination letter is filled with misspellings!

Don't treat admins like there idiots and are not worthy. Don't be wishy-washy because you change things to your liking and then blame us when it's wrong! Don't make us rush and be late for our families because you have a student toy that forgot to reapply for his green card. Don't act unprofessionally than shocked why your office is falling apart! Finally, don't lie to a new hire and say that the other admin "retired”. In the long run the new hire will find out from them why they suddenly went to lunch and never returned!!

No longer a great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

Flexibility - It's very easy to take time off or work from home. on-campus gym and pools are very nice and employees are encouraged to work out. great libraries.

Cons

I don't know about the university-level management, but my managers are incompetent. They don't have visions nor leadership skills. They won't tell you what they want, then they blame on you for not meeting their expectations.
    There is no promotion nor career growth. If you're satisfied with doing the same thing for the past 10 years, then this is a great place. Otherwise, time to get out of academia.

Take some leadership classes and then figure out what direction you want to lead us to.

There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University