There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University

Strong benefits, salaries good but not great - Works well for people on second careers

Current Employee - Associate Director  in  East Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Associate Director in East Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

tuition benefit after 5 years is unique in the portfolio of benefits; there is a great deal of support for continued educational development and health and fitness; The intellectual interchange possible on the job and during non-work time keeps one's mind sharp.

Cons

The university is very hierarchical and political in structure; programs and processes are often based upon what's always been done versus what should be done; change is slow to come in some organizations; many of the administrative staff are not best skilled resources due to preference given to internal candidates for openings whether the candidate is strongest resource or not

Seek a stronger organizational model which balances central control with decentralized autonomy to maximize creativity while leveraging economies of scale to reduce costs

708 Other Employee Reviews for Stanford University (View Most Recent)

Great institution.

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

The people you meet and work with at this interaction are amazing. Brilliant, fun, hard working.

Cons

Some people do not maintain work-life balance, and burn out working too hard at Stanford. The trick is to define one's own routine, do good work, and take time off.

Hire an assistant to deal with the flood of email.

Stanford University - looks great on the CV

Current Employee - Research Assistant
    Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at Stanford University

Pros

Career advancement beyond Stanford, in my position career advancement would require graduate training (which I intend to complete following this position). Benefits, support, and training opportunities within the school are better than anywhere I know of. The access, should you have the time, to other opportunities and researchers is great. It will look great on a CV and there is certainly, at least where I work, a strong emphasis on work-life balance and health. There can be a competitive atmosphere which can be a positive or negative thing depending on your position. There is a wide array of experiences within the school, so this may not be representative of everyone's experiences.

Cons

There are very few downsides, in my experience and view, of working at Stanford. The downside, were I looking to make this a long term position or career, would be a difficulty in advancement and compensation. I passed up opportunities for higher pay for the position at here, however the trade off was for better experience and a stronger CV. Advancement seems tenuous as there is a lot of competition for most jobs, or at least it seems that way. Pay advancement (although the economic climate makes that difficult most places) and increase in position title just doesn't seem like something I would accomplish very easily.

None.

There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!