Stanford University
www.stanford.edu Stanford, CA 5000+ Employees

Good students; low pay in a position leading to a less-than-glowing future

Writing Instructor, Program In Writing and Rhetoric (Current Employee)
Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University part-time for more than a year

ProsThe students you will encounter are, on average, smart and well motivated. One or two are geniuses. The rest are just hard workers who are a pleasure to be around.

ConsIf you're expecting your time as a graduate student and employment as a writing instructor/teaching assistant to lead to work as a tenured humanities professor, you might be in for a rude shock.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't accept more graduate students than you can place in tenure-track positions. You're not going to keep getting quality graduate students when it takes eight years to get a PhD, then several more years to land a tenure-track job paying about $60K a year--if this ever happens at all.

Snr. Systems Administrator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Stanford University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Nice and helpful people to work with. Cons: Management is very incompetent in the business dept./unit I worked… Advice to Senior Management: Get competent and experience leaders to run your IT organization. More

review

Lecturer (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: great library collection,special collections in Green is outstanding, great and productive academic community, absolutely wonderful climate, good food, focus… Cons: high living costs, rents are very expensive More

There are newer reviews on Stanford University.

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stanford University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stanford University CEO John L. Hennessy. All reviews posted anonymously by Stanford University employees.