Stanford University
www.stanford.edu Stanford, CA 5000+ Employees

Middle managers beware

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

ProsThe campus and the weather is wonderful. There are many activities that are available to the staff and the benefits are very generous. There is always something exciting going on. Once you are in the Stanford organization, changing positions between departments is rather easy.

ConsThere is a lot of silly decisions made due to the policial nature of the organization. Since this is a nonprofit organization no one in the administrative side is really accountable for their spending or effectiveness. This probably accounts for the high cost of tuition.

The HR department is really ineffective. The policies protect the staff and the faculty. Middle managers are always at risk of getting into trouble. The HR people do not do a good enough job of explaining this at orientation.

Many administrative postions are filled by individuals who are not qualified for their job. They were hired as assistants and just "grew" into the postion. I was surprised by the lack of professionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe hotling needs to be staffed by an outside service. Too many valid complaints are not investigated while invalid complaints are acted upon. This depends on the manager of the unit not a standard process.

Contracts with R&DE, HumSci and Web ITS

Web Contractor (Former Employee)
    Stanford, CA

I worked at Stanford University as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Many of my fellow coworkers were very supportive of one another. Workflow was constant, but with the ability to work from home it made projects… Cons: Having to pay for parking. I unfortunately had a bike stolen (the culprits cut the chain). Not a fault of Stanford's, but something to be… Advice to Senior Management: NA Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Research administration

Research Administrator (Current Employee)
    Stanford, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Good work life balance is good Cons: Not too much growth opp Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Stanford University.

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Stanford University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Stanford University CEO John L. Hennessy. All reviews posted anonymously by Stanford University employees.