Stanford University

www.stanford.edu
  www.stanford.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University

The truth

I worked at Stanford University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

a great place to work...until it wasn't

Cons

too expensive to live close to work, lots of people commute from all over the bay area, east bay, san jose & south, adding to work/life imbalance

treat all staff with human kindness, and don't lay off dedicated workers

775 Other Employee Reviews for Stanford University (View Most Recent)

Good Environment, poor employer as they don't prepare for their employees to come onto the team.

Former Employee - Migration Technician in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Migration Technician in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Stanford University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

nice environment to work in, positive teammates.

Cons

poor management, and employers, poor planning and no concern for employees also no follow through on problems nor resolutions to issues that arose.

get things in order for on boarding, before bringing employees on

Don't do graduate school, folks...unless you like pain.

Current Employee - Graduate Student in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Stanford University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Probably the best and most diverse place to do research...in the world. There are tons of resources.
    The weather is also probably the best...in the world. And the campus is lovely.
    I didn't encounter any issues with egos, even with the professors here. There are always a few bad eggs, but most of the people are very kind and friendly.

Cons

No social scene. Doesn't matter even if you try to create a social circle, because nobody else does.
    I wouldn't say everyone here is a genius, certainly very smart and very diligent. I suspect most of the best students and potential professors go out into the real world.
    High risk, low reward research. Same standard problems encountered in any graduate project: it's hard for professors/students to come up with new influential ideas all the time, and so not all projects have a pay off. Likewise the publish or perish attitude forces professors to engage in low quality or uninteresting research simply to get a paper.

Some of the more cruel professors should be fired. I fortunately never encountered them. I think a general bit of advice for pursuing research is that even the most abstract of research problems should also have some real world application (and not some made up one like quantum computing or room temperature superconductors--these are pipe dreams at the moment). This criterion is how they decide who wins the Nobel prizes, so it's probably a worthy goal if more professors should operate with this mentality.

There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University