Stanford University

www.stanford.edu

A very unique university with strong entrepreneurship environment

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar  in  Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Huge amount of resources ranging from technical side to business side for an engineer

Cons

I have no bad experiences so far

Other reviews for Stanford University

Stanford is so decentralized that one's experience there really depends on your organization and manager

Current Employee - Administrative Associate
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate

Pros

Beautiful campus, culture of learning, education and training benefits, lots of smart and talented people, on-campus activities and perks

Cons

Few well-paid, professional-level opportunities; faculty have too much power and influence over staff careers; little recourse for unfair treatment

I worked as an administrator at Stanford for several years in one degree-granting department. I felt under-employed during most of that time (despite some promotions and advancement), given my master's degree and many years of professional experience in marketing/technical communications as well as college-level teaching and tutoring experience. However, I appreciated all of the pros noted above, plus the work-life balance that my positions afforded as a working parent to young children.

All of that changed when the organization got a new faculty leader and an academic-staff-level manager above me. I think the faculty leader decided early on that he wanted someone else in my position, and I quickly became subject to quite harsh criticism about my performance (often for petty issues) and told that I needed to develop new skills quickly or my performance review would suffer. After exploring my (lack of) options with the university ombudsman, and trying to find other positions on campus quickly, I decided to quit that position rather than have my otherwise excellent employee file tarnished by a bad review. The whole experience left me bitter about the lack of power non-academic staff have, especially when compared to faculty. As another reviewer noted, there really is a caste system at Stanford (perhaps at most universities), as unequal as any found in corporate America.

I've since held a couple of temporary positions and am hoping to find a regular job within an organization that will offer opportunities for development and promotions along with support and positive management practices. I do believe such positions exist, but I suspect they may be more available in organizations where faculty have more limited influence. As noted above, Stanford is huge, so it is difficult to generalize about it, but I do feel there need to be more programs in place 1) to ensure fair treatment of employees and opportunities to negotiate conflicts without penalty, and 2) to promote career development for non-academic, particularly administrative, staff who are often treated and compensated as low-skill workers despite the complexity of the work they perform.

Choose wisely ......not all labs are created equal

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate  in  Stanford, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Associate in Stanford, CA

Pros

opportunities to collaborate with the best in their field. great weather, the campus has a beautiful park like setting, within driving distance to Tahoe for skiing

Cons

I work in a lab center and the admin staff is horrible. I have never dealt with such a rude bunch of people. My flat mate works in another and he has nothing but nice things to say about his the admin staff. He brags to me out how the staff is very caring and takes care of their members. He even went to a center arranged outing to a baseball game even though he did not know anything about baseball. He gets the opportunity to more know alot more people across the entire center because of the social events while I feel isolated in mine. I must say that his experience made me realize that one must choose wisely when making a decision to join a lab. Not all lab environments are created equal.

Take a good look at the staff. Recognize those who do the little extra things that makes the post doc experience special. Alot of times they are the face of the University and you want to put your best face forward.

There are newer employer reviews for Stanford University.

Worked for Stanford University? Contribute to the Community!