Stanley Black & Decker

www.stanleyblackanddecker.com
There are newer employer reviews for Stanley Black & Decker

Great place to work, but nothing is perfect

Former Employee - Information Technology in New Britain, CT
Former Employee - Information Technology in New Britain, CT

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some managers allow flexibility in your working hours. For example, work 14 hour days for a week, you might get to leave early or get to leave early a day or two. Some managers allow you to work from home - others forbid it.

Salary is competitive with other companies of their size and industry. Benefits are basic, however for a company in the 'insurance state' you would think the premiums would be less, but they are not, but still lower than others in the area.

Cons

Too many managers and not enough people to do actual work. Deadwood is not asked to 'seek employment elsewhere'.

Since the merger, many changes to reduce headcount resulted in the wrong people being kept and the better people being eliminated. Restructuring to move departments to a different state/region eliminated people who knew the company and the job, and replaced them with people who are not familiar with the processes.

WIN! recognition program is a great idea, and Managers are encouraged to give out the awards, but only a select few actually do it. We're talking about monetary awards as little as $250.00 and they can't even do that!

Rather than just reorganize to centralize departments, how about allowing the people to stay and work remotely? Why not have the best person for the job, rather than the person who is geographically most convenient?

236 Other Employee Reviews for Stanley Black & Decker (View Most Recent)

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Market Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Market Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great management, benefits and perks. I got to travel a ton and meet a lot of great people. Super good exposure to a public company. Had a sweet 2008 Silverado. Learned a lot about account management.

Cons

Lower pay than I wanted. It seemed like you had to play the 'game' to move up. I wanted to apply for a field sales role and my national sales manager said no because I had only been in my current position for 18 months. That should not be a factor in applying for a position.

Offer a better comp plan based on individual success.

Tons of work, little pay, small pay increases, little regard for employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I worked at Stanley Black & Decker full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large company, decent benefits
    Decent product lines, although the reputation is quickly diminishing
    Great coworkers for the most part, but the good ones are starting to realize that they will make much more elsewhere

Cons

The company and management truly have no regard for employees as people. Two layoffs in the last year have proven that they are money hungry and push profit above all else, including product quality.
    You will not get your first raise until at least 2 years after you start. You get a yearly performance review and the raise attached to that does not come for 12-16 months after, and the raise will be 6% at most, if you are lucky.
    In all areas of the company, they are cutting people and expecting more work to get done. This makes the company look terrible with shoddy products, little to no inventory, and overworked bitter salespeople.

There are newer employer reviews for Stanley Black & Decker