There are newer employer reviews for Stantec

Overall good company

Former Employee - Engineer in Rocklin, CA
Former Employee - Engineer in Rocklin, CA

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is at or above average for the engineering industry. They have good benefits and an employee stock ownership program. The company will provide you the opportunity to work on large engineering projects.

Cons

Your career may stagnate. In all fairness, this is probably more a result of the economy rather than the company. However, organic growth instead of the current practice of acquiring companies could be used to develop geographical regions. This might provide internal talent with an opportunity to develop their career and move up in the organization.

Day to day profit center and office management is good. At the corporate level, pursue organic growth and use internal talent to develop that growth.

117 Other Employee Reviews for Stantec (View Most Recent)

WORST OFFICE anybody could work in! Regional leadership is a wreck!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Stantec

Pros

1. A handful of smart, hardworking, junior-level staff that work dilligently despite being severely underpaid with little to no chance of growth and development. 2. The architecture department.

Cons

If you love being discouraged from working hard and being reprimanded and punished for going above and beyond, then this is the perfect place for you. Otherwise, stay away! If you are ambitious, intelligent, and hardworking, this is seen as a threat to the completely incompetent management, and you will be forced out whether by choice or not. The lack of professionalism in this office is unbelievable for a company of this size. Do not expect your voice to be heard here; do not expect anyone to value hard work and intellect. This place is an utter disgrace compared to the rest of the local consulting community. The other reviews for this office are spot on; listen to the numbers!

Think about what is best for the future of the organization and not just the current state. If you want the company to succeed, you need to invest in the future and stop worrying about your oversized paycheck. Most importantly, put others above yourself since all the people below you are keeping the place afloat.

I wish they hadn't bought my company

Former Employee - Architect in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Architect in Washington, DC

I worked at Stantec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They are big. Wait, is that a pro?

Cons

When it comes to design and architecture, they have the worst organization format you can think of. They are publicly traded so it's all about growing and getting bigger, fatter, more inefficient, less effective, more expensive. And, clients DO notice. After the merge we lost all our loyal clients, we got too big for them. And not big enough to fetch bigger clients. 70% of the staff has left since the merger. Before then we hadn't lost more than 10% in 5 years.
    I still remember how HR landed after the merger telling us that "Nothing will change. Staff is our more important asset". It isn't. Within 2 years you couldn't find a happy face in the office.

Tell the truth to the staff (you are 1 of 12,000 now. Stuff will change, not always for the best). Listen to the local offices. Free them from your bureaucracy.
    DO NOT fire managers or principals.

There are newer employer reviews for Stantec