There are newer employer reviews for Stantec

A wonderful company, great people, great workplace!

Former Employee - Civil Designer  in  Rochelle Park, NJ
Former Employee - Civil Designer in Rochelle Park, NJ

I worked at Stantec full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Steady work flow, good management, lots of talent and mentors available. Good benefits.

Cons

There can be a lot of desk work depending on the position. It might not be ideal for someone that likes a lot of field work.

Keep up the good work!

113 Other Employee Reviews for Stantec (View Most Recent)

if your company is bought out by Stantec, immediately begin looking for a different job

Current Employee - Designer In the Buildings Group
    Current Employee - Designer In the Buildings Group

I have been working at Stantec full-time for more than a year

Pros

good 401k, it's worthwhile to participate in the employee stock purchasing

Cons

Everything changes as soon as your office is bought by Stantec. If you are in the USA, you are second rate to Canada. The stress rate is through the roof once acquired and it will never go down. The business model is only based on buying out offices for their assets and all support on winning new work is stripped from your office. This pins everyone against each other. Offices compete violently with each other in the same market, there is no organization to their "stanet" for communication or effective collaboration with other offices. Stantec also downgrades your internet speed to a level that makes it impossible to work remotely or with other offices. When our office was bought out, our billable rate nearly tripled and the clients we served were not thrilled to pay difference. This put us employees in a position where we were doing work and not documenting it so our numbers still looked right on the time sheets sent to Canada. Everyone is trapped- you either work double and only document 1/2 of your work to keep your workload and clients so you don't lose your job, or you are honest on your timesheet and you lose your clients for now being too expensive.

This is all around bad news.

pick one field and stay with it. This company should not be buying architecture firms. Their pay / fee schedule is not in line with the building industry.

Professions are a now just another Wall Street commodity to leverage

I worked at Stantec full-time

Pros

Some good people.
    Pay check.
    Potential work on large projects
    Good 401K

Cons

Motto should be buy private firms, purge them, and increase amount of revenue that gets sent to a PO box in the middle of the country. As a regular employee you are become an asset that can be replaced or see your hours reduced on a whim often with little relation to your true value. Employee stress levels are through the roof at newly acquired firms and stay that way after Stantec takes over. Trust little company info coming from your managers because they are likely getting the same happy talk from their bosses. Work sharing is limited because of the insecure nature of the firm and profit center design. Management is more interested in growing and consolidating new acquisitions to maintain or increase the stock price than in project execution, employee development, or team building despite what the marketing spin says.

When it is all about the next acquisition to increase market share and presence, and increasing gross revenues, the professions suffer a slow and inevitable death.

There are newer employer reviews for Stantec

Worked for Stantec? Contribute to the Community!