There are newer employer reviews for Stantec

Large projects, large problems.

Former Employee - Civil Engineer
Former Employee - Civil Engineer

I worked at Stantec

Pros

- Worked on some pretty large scale and visible projects, ones that people recognize.
- Lots of resources to back you up. If you didn't know something, guaranteed that someone would be able to provide you the answer in the company.
- Average age of the staff, in my office anyways, was fairly young. Great atmosphere and lots of energy, made a ton of really good personal friends working there.
- Well respected and knowledgeable senior staff. Many great mentors.

Cons

- Company was way too focused on the bottom line. The way the company operates is simliar to the way things were back in 2004-2007 when there was too much work and profits were juicy. In this economy, it is impossible to maintain those profit margins. This lead to thousands of layoffs.
- Senior staff were spread out too thin. Most of our PMs were at the Principal, VP or SVP level. There was a high level chargeability expected for these individuals which took away from their administrative work.
- Little in the way of career development. Feedback was usually only provided once a year during your annual review. Final rankings were based on a exceeds/meets/does not meet expectations scale, which generally meant that 90% of staff fell into the meets expectations category.
- HR was useless. Our HR advisor took days to get back to you.
- Company is extremely top and admin heavy. If you look at the Company's financial results, almost half of the corporate expenses is in the senior management, HR, marketing and corporate services area.
- Bad corporate attitude. The view of senior management is that "we are the best, because we are the best". Very narrow minded view, especially coming from the client side.
- Little in the way of corporate communication. Most of what was sent was the typical corporate drivel, which had very little relevance to the day to day operation of the company.

Stantec needs to clean out the corporate tree, it is very overgrown with overlapping senior executives and too many admin staff. Succession planning needs to become a priority, right now a lot of the senior staff will be exiting in the next 5 years with no real replacements. These replacements will be hard to find externally. Junior staff need to be allowed to take a greater role in client relations and gain experience in this way. Communication needs to be improved, a simple email isn't sufficient enough. Finally, HR needs to actually step up to the plate and do it's job.

113 Other Employee Reviews for Stantec (View Most Recent)

Wonderful co-workers and clients

I have been working at Stantec

Pros

Great group of people to work with; able to work with people from various disciplines and dynamic clients; good benefits

Cons

Somewhat disconnected since the company tends to acquire various firms and blend them into Stantec in order to achieve results for shareholders

Try to find a way to also use bottom up leadership instead of solely relying on top down; company would benefit greatly from more organic growth

Avoid Stantec at all Costs

I have been working at Stantec

Pros

Stantec's head office is centrally located in Edmonton Alberta with very good bus service and the LRT is easily accessible too.

Cons

Stantec has a reputation for being a great employer but when you join you soon learn that there is an established pecking order - highest in status are the engineers, then other billable occupations, next are the corporate departments that are viewed as overhead and lowest is HR. Lowest of the low is Corporate HR.
    During the time I was there I was not given any feedback by my manager, nor did I receive any training or development. A request to attend the professional conference to maintain my professional designation was denied. I observed a lot of favourtism and communication was non existent. Morale is at an all time low with results from the annual employee survey virtually ignored and discounted. Why bother doing them?
    I would not recommend that anyone join Stantec.

Pale, male and stale - I had heard Stantec described this way several times but didn't realize just how true this is until I worked there. The executive (with one exception) is all male and I believe that the Board of Directors is still all male.

There are newer employer reviews for Stantec

Worked for Stantec? Contribute to the Community!