Staples

www.staples.com

1926 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

A decent job.

Current Employee - Furniture Associate  in  Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
Current Employee - Furniture Associate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

Pros

It's an enjoyable work atmosphere. Good people, lots of fun at times. It's different on a day to day basis. I work in Furniture and it changes daily. Customers are pretty good. We have a lot of business customers who are regulars, and we have relatively few stupid people come through. Management is doing a pretty good job. It's challenging and physically demanding, and I like that. Working in the back putting away furniture or pulling stuff for deliveries is good times. Most of the associates seem to know what's going on, and what they need to do. I have few complaints.

Cons

How much we get paid is abysmal. I work like a horse and am only making 9 dollars, though there's employees who do nothing who have been there for a long time who get 10. The raises are tiny, and based only on length of employment then effort put in. Management doesn't always seem to understand that we live off this job, and has no problem cutting hours when sales are down. They then blame the associates for the lack of sales and add ons. There's also very little praise when a good job is done, but lots of chastising when a bad one is.

Stop raising prices.

Other reviews for Staples

Staples is an ok place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Red Deer, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Red Deer, AB (Canada)

Pros

Staples has great people who are always looking to joke around and make the best out of the day. Managers are very understanding with personal issues, and work well with your schedule. Sometimes someone will bring in coffee or pizza or something for the staff, which is definitely appreciated. They have a decent discount for employees, as well as a computer buying program and benefits available after 3 months. There is room to grow within the company, and many staff move on to management (perhaps why they are more understanding). There is quite a bit of learning available for staff, with computer modules that can be completed at home for extra money, or at work if you are able.

Cons

Some customers are very rude, and probably the worst thing about working at Staples. This is probably the case at any store, however. Staples does not the greatest pay, although it is better than some other places. They say you get a raise every 3 months, but you have to push for these, and it is a very small amount. On slow days, it is tough to keep yourself busy sometimes and boredom ensues. Other days you are run off your feet. There is sometimes confusion between staff and management about what needs to be done, or when breaks are.

Doing a good job

I want out.

Current Employee - Senior Technology Consultant  in  Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Consultant in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Pros

Flexable hours and the ability to ignore the assigned tasks and zone out for hours. Some where that it is difficult to get fired as long as you make it past the 30 days.

Cons

Associates are not properly punished for poor performance, attitude, and ethic. Poor structure in promotions, training and programs. Very poor communication from home office on the intentions of their programs and merchandising.

Be forceful, proactive and plan

There are newer employer reviews for Staples.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!