Staples

www.staples.com
  www.staples.com
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Nobody wants a Staples Warranty Plan. Just accept it Staples.

Former Employee - Easy Tech Associate
Former Employee - Easy Tech Associate

I worked at Staples

Pros

Hours were decent and the schedules were accommodating. The Easy Tech Bonuses were sometimes really good. Managers were very supportive and recognized if you did a good job.

Cons

Forced to sell a number of "Staples" Warranty Plans. Were constantly scrutinized if you could not achieve that goal. It gets stressful to work in an environment where your job performance is threatened by the number of unnecessary plans you have sold. Training should be improved. Not everything can be learned by reading an online module. A lot of the common knowledge that should have been known was never taught nor mentioned by the managers. There was always only one Easy Tech associate per shift. This resulted in very stressful shifts because most of the customers needed help in buying a new computer or needed an Easy Tech service.

Stop putting so much emphasis on the Staples Warranty Plans. The selling goals were unrealistic especially because there were other aspects of the job that needed to be fulfilled. One must consider the current economic status of the country and the fact that customers do not want pay an extra one hundred dollars for an eight hundred dollar laptop. Do not hold us accountable for their personal choice. Above all else, do not threaten our job and dampen our job performance review because of it.

2195 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

A decent job.

Current Employee - Furniture Associate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Furniture Associate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Staples

Pros

It's an enjoyable work atmosphere. Good people, lots of fun at times. It's different on a day to day basis. I work in Furniture and it changes daily. Customers are pretty good. We have a lot of business customers who are regulars, and we have relatively few stupid people come through. Management is doing a pretty good job. It's challenging and physically demanding, and I like that. Working in the back putting away furniture or pulling stuff for deliveries is good times. Most of the associates seem to know what's going on, and what they need to do. I have few complaints.

Cons

How much we get paid is abysmal. I work like a horse and am only making 9 dollars, though there's employees who do nothing who have been there for a long time who get 10. The raises are tiny, and based only on length of employment then effort put in. Management doesn't always seem to understand that we live off this job, and has no problem cutting hours when sales are down. They then blame the associates for the lack of sales and add ons. There's also very little praise when a good job is done, but lots of chastising when a bad one is.

Stop raising prices.

Staples is an ok place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Red Deer, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Red Deer, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Staples has great people who are always looking to joke around and make the best out of the day. Managers are very understanding with personal issues, and work well with your schedule. Sometimes someone will bring in coffee or pizza or something for the staff, which is definitely appreciated. They have a decent discount for employees, as well as a computer buying program and benefits available after 3 months. There is room to grow within the company, and many staff move on to management (perhaps why they are more understanding). There is quite a bit of learning available for staff, with computer modules that can be completed at home for extra money, or at work if you are able.

Cons

Some customers are very rude, and probably the worst thing about working at Staples. This is probably the case at any store, however. Staples does not the greatest pay, although it is better than some other places. They say you get a raise every 3 months, but you have to push for these, and it is a very small amount. On slow days, it is tough to keep yourself busy sometimes and boredom ensues. Other days you are run off your feet. There is sometimes confusion between staff and management about what needs to be done, or when breaks are.

Doing a good job