Staples

www.staples.com
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

There are a lot of Catch-22 situations here.

Current Employee - Easy Tech Expert in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Easy Tech Expert in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly easy work for decent pay. Pretty easy to move up into supervisory positions.

Cons

Retail customers suck. There are a lot of catch-22 situations working here. For instance you need labor hours in order to staff your store and make sales, but you need to make sales to gain labor hours.

More positive reinforcement to employees would yield higher results than the threats at termination for not meeting goals.

2292 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

Lots of opportunity, lots of corporate politics

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Framingham, MA

I worked at Staples full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very strong with internal growth, great team approach. As boring as selling office supplies can be, Staples did a great job filling in the spaces with excitement and team first attitudes.

Cons

Lots of red tape to get through...corporate mentality of "sorry, this isn't in my job description." The business has grown so much it's essentially created separate units to compete against itself (SBA vs. SBD)

You don't always have to be a "company guy" to succeed. Be your own voice when necessary.

Watch your back

Former Employee - Product Specialist Mobile Phones in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist Mobile Phones in Framingham, MA

I worked at Staples full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The cafe has decent food, also on thursdays a local bread company sells fresh artisan breads which are delicious! In terms of working for the company...I can't say much to promote working for them. I have worked for other large corporate companies and had much better experiences, the Staples merchandising division is a very difficult area to work in.

Cons

-No training
    -No guidance
    -No leadership
    -No support
    -No team work

I realize I sound like a bitter ex-employee, however I can honestly say I am trying to do my best to give an accurate description of what day-to-day life will be like while working at Staples Corporate. I wish I was warned before leaving my prior job, which I enjoyed.

During my first week, I had a co-worker who had the same position as me in another department tell me the most important piece of advice she could give me was to never delete an email because people at the company will take every opportunity they are given to stab you in the back. At first I thought that maybe she was just a bitter person, after a few weeks I realized she had given me some very useful information. Archiving all emails came in handy many many times. During my time with Staples I had the threat of mass layoffs hung over my head several times.

Honestly just writing this passage is bringing back so many horrible memories that I have to stop now.

To summarize my time with Staples, I now am prescribed to ambien because I experienced such anxiety dreading having to go to work and be abused all day long that I couldnt sleep and had to seek medical help to fall asleep.

Overall, if you are considering working for Staples this review will not faze you at first but 4-6 months in you will completely relate to what I've written.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples