Staples

www.staples.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

While technically a crappy job I'm not paid enough for, it is a place I enjoy

Current Employee - Copy Center Associate in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Copy Center Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Extremely friendly, down to earth management
Interesting, challenging work
Lots of fun relationships with customers
It feels like my only true bosses are the customers
I have a lot of fun

Cons

I am paid $8.65 an hour.
I am working at Staples.

This is advice to management above the general manager, who seems helpless and powerless against corporate:

Pay us more. A lot of people in the copy center really enjoy our jobs. I can't explain why I like my job in the copy center so much, but I do. It is an extremely professional job, and I am helping people with their projects, whatever they may be, every day. If I told any one of them how much I was paid, they would be utterly shocked and horrified, and would probably tell their friends, until it just became common knowledge that you are paying us extremely low wages, well below the cost of living, at least in Boston. And we really are very professional at what we do.

This is why stores have a very hard time hanging on the CPC associates; because despite the very positive atmosphere that somehow exists at Staples, you fail to show us the respect as the people running your entire show that we deserve. I love my job. But you really need to pay us more.

2372 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

mehhh it's ok

Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Staples part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros are obviously the flexible hours and most of the people I work with.

Cons

if customers do not buy ESP (extended service plans) we as techs get yelled at. Just recently our Sales Manager made the techs sign a contract that stated if we don't almost constatly make 7% then we will get fired.

Get off your but, and do more sales, also encourage the rest of the associates (OS, front end, and CPC) to sell plans as well, STOP breathing down the Tech's necks.... you want us to do our job, then back off and let us do it, don't badger us about not making 7%, every single week when we have not had that many sales, and if you see for yourself that the customer does not want to buy.

Watch your back

Former Employee - Product Specialist Mobile Phones in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist Mobile Phones in Framingham, MA

I worked at Staples full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The cafe has decent food, also on thursdays a local bread company sells fresh artisan breads which are delicious! In terms of working for the company...I can't say much to promote working for them. I have worked for other large corporate companies and had much better experiences, the Staples merchandising division is a very difficult area to work in.

Cons

-No training
    -No guidance
    -No leadership
    -No support
    -No team work

I realize I sound like a bitter ex-employee, however I can honestly say I am trying to do my best to give an accurate description of what day-to-day life will be like while working at Staples Corporate. I wish I was warned before leaving my prior job, which I enjoyed.

During my first week, I had a co-worker who had the same position as me in another department tell me the most important piece of advice she could give me was to never delete an email because people at the company will take every opportunity they are given to stab you in the back. At first I thought that maybe she was just a bitter person, after a few weeks I realized she had given me some very useful information. Archiving all emails came in handy many many times. During my time with Staples I had the threat of mass layoffs hung over my head several times.

Honestly just writing this passage is bringing back so many horrible memories that I have to stop now.

To summarize my time with Staples, I now am prescribed to ambien because I experienced such anxiety dreading having to go to work and be abused all day long that I couldnt sleep and had to seek medical help to fall asleep.

Overall, if you are considering working for Staples this review will not faze you at first but 4-6 months in you will completely relate to what I've written.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples