Staples

There are newer employer reviews for Staples

mehhh it's ok

Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in Greensburg, PA
Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Staples part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros are obviously the flexible hours and most of the people I work with.

Cons

if customers do not buy ESP (extended service plans) we as techs get yelled at. Just recently our Sales Manager made the techs sign a contract that stated if we don't almost constatly make 7% then we will get fired.

Get off your but, and do more sales, also encourage the rest of the associates (OS, front end, and CPC) to sell plans as well, STOP breathing down the Tech's necks.... you want us to do our job, then back off and let us do it, don't badger us about not making 7%, every single week when we have not had that many sales, and if you see for yourself that the customer does not want to buy.

2311 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

Watch your back

Former Employee - Product Specialist Mobile Phones in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Product Specialist Mobile Phones in Framingham, MA

I worked at Staples full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The cafe has decent food, also on thursdays a local bread company sells fresh artisan breads which are delicious! In terms of working for the company...I can't say much to promote working for them. I have worked for other large corporate companies and had much better experiences, the Staples merchandising division is a very difficult area to work in.

Cons

-No training
    -No guidance
    -No leadership
    -No support
    -No team work

I realize I sound like a bitter ex-employee, however I can honestly say I am trying to do my best to give an accurate description of what day-to-day life will be like while working at Staples Corporate. I wish I was warned before leaving my prior job, which I enjoyed.

During my first week, I had a co-worker who had the same position as me in another department tell me the most important piece of advice she could give me was to never delete an email because people at the company will take every opportunity they are given to stab you in the back. At first I thought that maybe she was just a bitter person, after a few weeks I realized she had given me some very useful information. Archiving all emails came in handy many many times. During my time with Staples I had the threat of mass layoffs hung over my head several times.

Honestly just writing this passage is bringing back so many horrible memories that I have to stop now.

To summarize my time with Staples, I now am prescribed to ambien because I experienced such anxiety dreading having to go to work and be abused all day long that I couldnt sleep and had to seek medical help to fall asleep.

Overall, if you are considering working for Staples this review will not faze you at first but 4-6 months in you will completely relate to what I've written.

Dishonest, tangled management

Former Employee - Copy and Print in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Copy and Print in Salem, OR

I worked at Staples part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Copy / Print center. It meant most of the time people weren't giving me extraneous tasks outside of my area.

Cons

Customers are expectant and condescending. Management wants us to make 'one time deals' with customers that result in customers expecting lower prices every time they come in. Corporate changes running offers without letting associates know. Pay grade for what is a specialized job is demeaning and will not sustain you on the hours you could get, which more often than not comes from covering someone elses shift (with about half an hour advanced notice).

Hire new people at an actual competitive starting pay and they might overlook how poorly the store is managed

There are newer employer reviews for Staples