Staples
3.0 of 5 1,564 reviews
careers.staples.com Framingham, MA 5000+ Employees

High Expectations, Low Pay, Great Environment

EasyTech Associate (Current Employee)
DuBois, PA

I have been working at Staples part-time for more than a year

ProsUnder normal conditions Staples provides a great work environment with extremely supportive and encouraging management, friendly coworkers, and slightly-higher-than-satisfactory training to provide you with knowledge and essential confidence to perform your job well.

ConsVery low pay for job requirements. As an EasyTech Associate, a Resident EasyTech, or a "Certified" Onsite Technician, the hourly pay rate is extremely low compared to the industry average. While EasyTechs need not necessarily have comparable IT training or certifications (such as CompTIA A+), much of the EasyTech services performed requires a higher-level of technical expertise.

A much larger job requirement to performing IT work as any EasyTech position (be it ET Associate, Resident Tech, Onsite Tech, or ET Expert) is SALES. Of course, profit margin is very low on computers and consumer electronics, especially if on sale (profit margin 1-3%, or a loss if on sale). Companies such as Staples *depend* on high sales of extended warranties (profit margin of 50-70%), EasyTech services (profit margin of 60-70%), and attachments (profit margin varies from 5-40%) to create a "market basket" (every other profitable item in the transaction besides the computer/tablet). EasyTech Associates spend the majority of their time on the clock increasing sales.

Sales of extended warranties, ET services, and attachments are overly stressed and are by large the highest contributing factors to an employee's performance. Such emphasis on sales numbers can indeed be stressful.

EasyTechs may also be required to perform various other tasks, completely unrelated to IT, such as assisting customers with Office Supplies, restocking shelves, running POS terminals, and yes, cleaning the bathrooms. Don't be under the impression that once you're hired as an EasyTech all of your responsibilities will deal with IT work and PC sales.

Commission
EasyTechs used to receive various forms of commission and incentives, however not on simple PC and electronics sales, but on extended warranties, ET services, and various attachments--key profitable areas for Staples. While Staples may be taking in as much as 70% pure profit in these areas, incentives usually amounted to as little as less than 1% or as high as 5%. Throughout 2012 and so far in 2013, "incentives" programs have consistently varied for each market period (month), with all incentives ending shortly after the start of the 2012 holiday season. As of January, 2013, there is no commission or incentives program.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the excellent support and encouragement. However, considering the high expectations, requirements, stress, as well as the level of technical expertise compared to base pay and (*lack* of) commission/incentives, working as an EasyTech at Staples is best categorized as "rough". Staples, Inc. makes very high profit from these sales, and shares very little with its employees.

In 2012, after reviewing my performance report, I was told that I sold approximately $50,000 of extended warranties and EasyTech services, with an estimated profit of around $34,000. While not spectacular, this figure also does *not* include any profitable attachments sold. Working part time throughout the year, my gross income was approximately $11,000, including $1,000 incentives earned part of the year, which now are no longer offered.

Staples Sales Clerk

I have been working at Staples part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Most of the customers are regulars, so you get to build relationships. There… Cons: Not enough commissions, sales incentives for employees other than management.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Positive but repetitive

Team Manager (Former Employee)
Florence, KY

I worked at Staples full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Great people, overall good management. I was able to move up from a front line associate to a team manager. My center was closed on… Cons: It is cubicle work and no matter what your job title it is… Advice to Senior Management: When a rep or someone is struggling have them use… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Staples.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Staples reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Staples CEO Ron Sargent. All reviews posted anonymously by Staples employees.