Staples

www.staples.com

Assistant Manager - Great for first 20 years I worked there, Now I am getting layed off

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsEveryday is different even after 20 years. Nothing stays the same. New challenges everywhere. Fast paced, gotta think on your feet. I don't want to be fired, I enjoy my job. But they are cold blooded and they will lay us off in April 2013. It's crying shame. I don't want to work somewhere else.

ConsThis is a new crew of people running the home office. Tom Stemberg is not there anymore. It used to feel like a family. Everyone wanted to help everyone. Now with out Founder Tom Stemberg there anymore, his replacements are running the business like they plan to only work there for 5 years then move on. They allow their District Managers to toss out job threats over not selling enough Service Plans, Tech Services, and this anti-virus, SOPHOS, that they pretend is a tech service. It's not a tech service, it's an antivirus. But they pretent they are growning the stale business by pretending the SOPHOS is a Easytech service. The job threats come 5 a day in email over this metric and that metric. The hate-mail goes on to "promise change" Well you already told us you were eliminating all the assistant managers, so why keep threatening us? Pouring salt on a wound?
They annouced "Restructuring" (layoffs), which is a fancy term for firing as many hard working Assistant Managers as they can. They will let most of us go in April/May 2013 timeframe. We will walk in for our shift, walk into the office, be told we are terminated, hand in our keys and be escorted out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell your DMs to stop with the constant job threats, it's not helping, Also stop with the whole SOPHOS push. You know Wall Street won't count it as a tech sale, so just stop pushing so hard and threatening everyone's job through email where the whole District can see it.

operations mangager

I have been working at Staples full-time

Pros: good company to work for Cons: schedule and hours worked , i guess thats all retail… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Just got hired

I have been working at Staples part-time

Pros: The people are so nice and make me feel so welcome there is also a… Cons: intense online computer training, I was on the computer for 5 hours… Advice to Senior Management: They are very busy but it is probably just… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Staples.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!