Staples

www.staples.com
  www.staples.com
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Great place to work, would be happy to work there again :)!

Former Employee - Office Supply Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Office Supply Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Staples full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part was I got to work in multiple departments by request, Office Supplies/Furniture/Copy Centre/Cash. Scheduling was flexible, and they were supportive of my college career and life in general. I find this rare in most companies. They treated me well, and I always had friends there, in management and co-workers.

Cons

Moving up for career opportunities isn't fantastic, you have to move around a lot like a hot potatoe. Never happened to me, but saw it happen multiple times to co-workers and managers constantly leaving and being replaced. Part of the reason why I stayed put and happy in my position.

Upper management stayed the same and were always great, but lower management moved around a lot (as stated in cons). Sometimes the new management would try to take over departments and not have faith and confidence in the dedicated long-term employees the store had before the new management came around. Maybe there should be more communication with new management about which employees to trust and let them do there thing when they come into the new store. I understand new managers have responsibility to tune-up stores to show their worth and get promoted, but not every store needs a complete re-work.

2193 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

Things have changed so much in nine years.....use to be fun

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Unknown (Bangladesh)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Unknown (Bangladesh)

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great customer relationship building, Pays good for the job, and easy to manage

Cons

lack of support staff for customers, I turned from a manager to an overpaid sales associate because a major slash in payroll over the last 5 years. We can't attract or keep good help because of the minimum pay scale for all positions excluding managers. In typical day I have to work in the copy center, sell and take in computers, ring the register and cover pretty much every department for 15 to 45 to cover breaks and lunch because we are so understaffed because of payroll.

Can't expect managers to do their job when you are doing what 2 or 3 associate should be doing.

Good place for career advancement

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Good place for career advancement

Cons

Less bonuses and pay when compared to similar organizations

There are newer employer reviews for Staples