There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Low pay but decent perks for part time work

Former Employee - Easy Tech/Sales Associate in Athens, OH
Former Employee - Easy Tech/Sales Associate in Athens, OH

I worked at Staples part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was fun being part of the team. We did informal meetings as a team in the morning that kind of pumped us up for the day. It was fun helping customers and selling electronics. They did have some fun little perks and employee recognition measures. They really value customers and want to help them find solutions to their needs.

Cons

It was a low paying (very close to minimum wage) job that involved a lot of stocking and some other tedious work.

If you have employees that you value and who perform at a high level, be willing to pay them more not only based on seniority.

2104 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

Typical corporate environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Headquarters not located in Boston, making for easier commute.

Cons

Salaries are low and benefits are deteriorating. Morale is low due to so much change over the past few years. Doesn't feel like a stable environment to most associates and there are too many different "plans" to recover from tough economic times with little to no results to show for them.

Show more appreciation for the good talent you already have in house before they leave for better opportunities elsewhere. Promote more from within and stop stripping away all employee benefits.

Many years as a stable company, starting to get too varied on company initiatives.

I worked at Staples full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Good structure in place for advancement with hard work
    -Able to work around family life (for the most part)
    -Store management can be very good with training associates for future management positions

Cons

-Too many initiatives, at one time we would have 5-10 #1 priorities, some of which were in competition with the others
    -Stretched too thin with not enough hours given to stores for floor coverage, managers do too much work that should be done by cashiers, techs, merchandisers, etc.
    -Keeping managers and associates in the dark with changes that affect the family life and expecting everyone to just fall in line

Follow your own rules and keep things open and honest with associates and store personnel. I remember how long it took in testing phases to get Easytech and Copy and Print Centers off the ground, but we jumped right in with cell phone sales, and we are losing too much money as a company with our half hearted effort. The store associates and managers cannot sell the phones, only those hired to do that job.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples