There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Staples is going through big change

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Warrenton, OR
Former Employee - Sales Manager in Warrenton, OR

I worked at Staples full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent place to work with good opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Company can't decide what they want to do. One minute the most important thing is Tech work and computer sales. The next it's expanding the online assortment and taking customers to our in store kiosk to order online. All of the ideas are good, but they drop one to focus on another before the first even got off the ground.

Right now they really don't care how store management and associates feel. No bonuses were given out this year (for me that was $6000) and we were told via email the day before we should have gotten them. Staples also just restructured there stores getting rid of 1/3 of their store management team. I can see a lot of good talent starting to look at other companies, you can't afford to lose your top talent.

2066 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

Sales Manager

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Few pros. Great place to learn about selling and electronics. Nice customers.

Cons

Staples was once a place to work hard and make a name for yourself in order to make a career out of it. Recent reinvention just means: making less associates/managers do more work for less money. Many managers let go in order to reorganize and rename positions to rehire at less pay. New motto- hire, use, abuse, fire.

look elsewhere

A good place to work that is reducing its focus on retail stores.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Staples has some great learning opportunities for those looking to get started in retail. I good work environment with adequate training available.

Cons

Staples is a company that has been hit hard by online retailers such as Amazon.com. Staples has been reducing its store workforce and putting its emphasis on Staples.com which is the second largest online retailer in the US behind only Amazon. In April of 2013 Staples cut nearly 50% of their US retail assistant managers.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples