There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Staples is going through big change

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Warrenton, OR
Former Employee - Sales Manager in Warrenton, OR

I worked at Staples full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent place to work with good opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Company can't decide what they want to do. One minute the most important thing is Tech work and computer sales. The next it's expanding the online assortment and taking customers to our in store kiosk to order online. All of the ideas are good, but they drop one to focus on another before the first even got off the ground.

Right now they really don't care how store management and associates feel. No bonuses were given out this year (for me that was $6000) and we were told via email the day before we should have gotten them. Staples also just restructured there stores getting rid of 1/3 of their store management team. I can see a lot of good talent starting to look at other companies, you can't afford to lose your top talent.

1983 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

Sales Manager

I have been working at Staples

Pros

Few pros. Great place to learn about selling and electronics. Nice customers.

Cons

Staples was once a place to work hard and make a name for yourself in order to make a career out of it. Recent reinvention just means: making less associates/managers do more work for less money. Many managers let go in order to reorganize and rename positions to rehire at less pay. New motto- hire, use, abuse, fire.

look elsewhere

Like any job you take, it's what you make of it.

Former Employee - Casher/Office Supplies  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Casher/Office Supplies in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Staples part-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the people I worked with and my managers. If you have an optimistic attitude about your job, then you will enjoy it. The idea is honestly that simple, but changing that attitude can be difficult for some people. Specifically in retail, you should feel confident and excited when you have to approach strangers in customer service. If you can establish a good relationship with co-workers and your managers, you will enjoy going to work and take pride in the contributions you make to the store and the company. I worked for Staples for one year and was very pleased with my experience. As a cashier and Office Supplies associate I did a lot of walking and helping customers. I enjoyed Office Supplies more because I like to move around and stock.

There are 4 main levels for associates at Staples retail stores:

1. The first level titles of associates are as follows, Cashier, Office Supplies, Office Equipment, Easy Tech, and Copy Center. Cashier is self-explanatory, but also includes being a salesman by trying to get customers to buy protection plans on applicable products. Office Supplies deals mainly with stocking load and helping customers on the floor. You will do a lot of walking. You will also have to assist customers in furniture and go to the back to grab the desk or chair they want. Office Equipment deals with all electronic technology such as printers, routers, and most importantly, computers. Your managers will push you to sell these products as well as a service plans. This position also includes processing load for the technology side of the store. Easy Tech deals mostly with fixing customers' computers. You will have to run diagnostics and virus remover programs, or transfer data between hard drives. You will often do onsite services as well such as going to a person's house or office to fix their PC or set up a printer. If there are no computers for you to work with, then you take up the roles of Office Equipment. Copy Center associates not only make copies of documents, but also make businesses cards, invitations, posters, flyers, canvas prints, and several other printing services all in accordance with the customer's instruction. They also do lamination and binding.

2. The second level associates are known as leads or experts in their departments. This is a level you will have to be promoted to. Cashiers move up to Customer Service Lead, so you obviously have to be good with customers as well as know the exact details of store polices. The cashiers will pass off customers to you, if they don't know how to properly deal with the customer's need. Office Supplies and Office Equipment associates can move up to Office Supplies Lead, or Office Equipment Lead. You will have the same responsibilities, but you have to know everything about your department and be a good salesman. Office Supplies associates can also move up to AI which deals with damages, returns, and setting up planograms and shippers. Easy Tech and Copy Center associates move up to Easy Tech Expert and Copy Center Expert. Again, same responsibilities as well as knowing everything about your department, hence being an expert. If you are in a lead or expert position, you will rarely need help from your managers, and first level associates will always look to you for assistance.

3. The third level is Assistant Manager. You don't necessarily have to take up every expert or lead position, but you have to be an expert in all departments. You will also be given keys and codes to open and run the store. Everyone looks to you for assistance and pass off customers to you. The only person above you is General Manager who may not even be there when you are.

4. The fourth level is General Manager. The same as Assistant Manager, but with a few more permissions and duties.

If any of these positions are of interest to you, apply online and follow up with a phone call to the manager at the specific location you applied for. This will better your chances for an interview and will make you stand out among other candidates. During the interview you should be honest, smile, and ask questions to show you are really interested. Check the forum and salaries for more information. Good Luck!

Cons

Not much really. You might have customers, co-workers, and managers that you find difficult to get along with, but that's your choice.

This varies too much to give adequate advice.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!