Staples

www.staples.com
  www.staples.com
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Welcome to hell. (Houston TX)

Current Employee - Office Supply Associate in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Office Supply Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Staples part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job in a bad economy.

Cons

First, there's the unrealistic workload. I'm a hard worker, but there are limits to everything. Management will tell you to drop what you're doing to help the customers. Our assignment sheets for each day are written with the assumption that we will not be approached by a customer. Seeing as we are constantly understaffed at Staples, assisting customers often leaves little time for our tasks.
Then, there's scheduling. Most employees only get 4 to 5 hours a day...for $8.00/hour. If you ask them to be flexible with the schedule so you can work another job to make ends meet, they tell you to take what they give you or quit.
Lastly, there's the type of management that Staples seems to prefer. I've had two managers there that were decent, straightforward people, who wanted to see the employees learn and grow. They got axed. All that's left are two managers who make empty promises. Their management style is primarily condescension and threats.

The main problem with Staples is its corporate structure. It's nothing unusual these days, but it runs on the idea that stressed, anxious, desperate people make the best employees. If you are a manager, I probably don't have much respect for you: in my experience, the only way to remain a manager is to know which a**es to kiss, or who to screw over.

2142 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

This is a Fun Place to Work

Current Employee - Easy Certified Tech in Torrington, CT
    Current Employee - Easy Certified Tech in Torrington, CT

I have been working at Staples part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome Managers, Great Co-workers, Lots a Laughs and Learn Alot from the Techs. Very Laid Back. Everyone Knows there Job and those it well.if you do your job managers wont bother you

Cons

Pay is pretty low for what your deal with.long Hours standing

Offer better pay if you want the best Techs

A good in-between job

I have been working at Staples full-time

Pros

A decent work life balance. Uncapped commission and base pay.
    Staples itself is a great company and prospects typically like the company.

Cons

Although you have a 3-week training you do not cover most of what you need to know to perform. There is no easy way to search for information other than ask your manager. They will tell you go to savo but that is less helpful than googling it.
    There are way too many b2bs in a region leaving you to not only compete with competitors but with your coworkers as well.
    The pay is quite a bit less than what it should be for this position. Some of the top sales reps in the nation are not even making six figures.

Create a B2B manual. Downsize on the amount of reps you hire and maybe turnover rate will go down.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples