There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Welcome to hell. (Houston TX)

Current Employee - Office Supply Associate in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Office Supply Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Staples part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a job in a bad economy.

Cons

First, there's the unrealistic workload. I'm a hard worker, but there are limits to everything. Management will tell you to drop what you're doing to help the customers. Our assignment sheets for each day are written with the assumption that we will not be approached by a customer. Seeing as we are constantly understaffed at Staples, assisting customers often leaves little time for our tasks.
Then, there's scheduling. Most employees only get 4 to 5 hours a day...for $8.00/hour. If you ask them to be flexible with the schedule so you can work another job to make ends meet, they tell you to take what they give you or quit.
Lastly, there's the type of management that Staples seems to prefer. I've had two managers there that were decent, straightforward people, who wanted to see the employees learn and grow. They got axed. All that's left are two managers who make empty promises. Their management style is primarily condescension and threats.

The main problem with Staples is its corporate structure. It's nothing unusual these days, but it runs on the idea that stressed, anxious, desperate people make the best employees. If you are a manager, I probably don't have much respect for you: in my experience, the only way to remain a manager is to know which a**es to kiss, or who to screw over.

2066 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

Will be another retailer that closes their doors

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some autonomy, great staff... The work/life balance is acceptable, with a 45 hour work week. Developing customer relationships has been beneficial

Cons

Terrible leadership that shows no consistent direction for the company, focuses on the wrong things, and then blames the people on the front line for overall company failures

Make up your mind on what the model will be, and invest in your employees

Ehh It could be better

Current Employee - Copy Center Associate
    Current Employee - Copy Center Associate

I have been working at Staples part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent People
    Works with your schedule

Cons

Customers will barrage you the second you can't immediately help you are then yelled at called rude and derogatory words etc.

Staples works with your schedule because they are desperate for people to fill shifts.

There are only about 3 FT positions per store besides being in management and they are the department leads.

Pay is low

They hire new people that seems like its their first jobs and pay them the same as if you've been there for years and say if you don't like it leave.

Empty promises, promised a raise for hard work 6 months later finally got it, in 5 years I only received $1, department budget was meet or exceeded each year as well as little to no complaints. they say the raises are based on what you do but its by department (10-35 cents / year)

I've been called in due to improper planning every week, even today I've received a call "can you work today"

Don't hire cheap employees for your high profit areas, and don't pay them the same as your current employees make.

You give 90 days of training when most jobs only take a week to learn and don't fire anyone for not knowing how to do their jobs

There are newer employer reviews for Staples