There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Its okay for a second or part time job

Current Employee - Team Leader in Columbia, SC
Current Employee - Team Leader in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Staples part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Safety, Environment, Coworkers, etc.

Cons

Pay, Pay, Pay, Pay, and Pay

reviews filtered by

easy tech

I have been working at Staples full-time

Pros

none it is a no where job

Cons

everything that there is worst management ever they hire retards

you suck

Great Company if you are a General Manager!

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Staples full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

In my situation, the staff of associates were wonderful to work with. Everyone had pleasant personalities. The company gives a quality of life allowing you to request off days when you need them. They try to keep managers close to home. No more than a 45 min commute at most. most are lucky within 15 min from home. Always busy for the most part. No real down time to feel board.

Cons

Most General Managers treat assistants like second class citizens. They have the ability to go and come as they please being in a salaried position when asst mgrs are hourly so the same ability does not apply. GM's work one night a week and some abuse taking every weekend off. My manager was an obsessive cunpulsive personality. Always following me around to see what I was doing instead of focusing on the customer. He always spoke negative and never provide anything positive unless it related to himself. When the store was busy, he was found on most days sitting in the office and during downtime stalking associates. If I gave direction to associates, he would tell them not to do that but do what he said. I myself have been a manager for over 25 years and never been in the company of managers so unprofessional. Even the DM stopped talking to me the last 4 months of my employment. When I came to the company there was diversity and they accepted everyone. Now Staples wants to only promote their own associates to managers, never giving proper training to develop them on how to coach let alone lead by example. The company just made radical changes firing managers that made too much money to creating poitions on a lower pay scale with overwhelming responsibilty that doesn't fit the pocket. If you work for them, it will just be about the experience and not about the pay check. The more you give, the more they expect. The best thing is to be a spy on fellow associates, It will take you a long way with this company.

I feel the process how you interview associates to General Manager positions is not condusive to the job. Everyone shouldn't have the ability to apply. An invitation should be extended to those who have proven leadership in their current role and have profited the store they are in. Also have produced a succesful employee work culture. Your managers are out of control in how they can make whatever schedules they want but asst and keyholder controlled managers are working more than 3 nights a week to cover the store they are responsible for and are well paid in their responsibility. A district manager should be in their stores every two weeks for follow up. Mine wouldn't show up at my store for more that 3 months and sends hate emails everyday probably from the comforts of her home. You need to spend some time to correct this. Otherwise this new program of team leaders will not work. It will be like leaving people who have diabetes in a candy store.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples