There are newer employer reviews for Staples

A lot of responsibilities with slave pay.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Staples part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are flexible with scheduling.

Cons

Customers are angered easily when we don't have the product they are looking for.
When management finds a position they like you in, there is no getting out of it or moving up.
They only pay slightly above minimum wage.

reviews filtered by

Not as good as it used to be...

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can learn a lot from Staples because there are many different business units and many opportunities to move around.

Cons

My pros being said, the opportunities are not always that easy to obtain. Staples used to pride itself on hiring from within, but with the current market, they are mostly hiring from outside and for less. It surely doesn't give a big vote of confidence to existing employees who would like to move up or at least laterally to learn something else. Bringing in people from outside also slows down operations in order to train instead of taking someone who already knows the business and has internal contacts.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, higher levels of management do not always have the best answer nor are always right. It's time to stop the "circling the wagons" mentality and LISTEN to employees. Their opinions and viewpoints matter just as much.

Staples is going through big change

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Warrenton, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Warrenton, OR

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent place to work with good opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Company can't decide what they want to do. One minute the most important thing is Tech work and computer sales. The next it's expanding the online assortment and taking customers to our in store kiosk to order online. All of the ideas are good, but they drop one to focus on another before the first even got off the ground.

Advice to Management

Right now they really don't care how store management and associates feel. No bonuses were given out this year (for me that was $6000) and we were told via email the day before we should have gotten them. Staples also just restructured there stores getting rid of 1/3 of their store management team. I can see a lot of good talent starting to look at other companies, you can't afford to lose your top talent.