There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Terrible Leadership In A Declining Business

Former Employee - General Manager
Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Staples full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pros – There are very little pros left to work for this company. The health care is ok, but the premiums are expensive and Staples continues to raise the premiums every year. As a General Manager having the power to write your own schedule used to be a Pro, but now some District Managers are starting to dictate when the GMs work.

Cons

Cons – Staples just went through a “reinvention.” The majority of the company’s Assistant Managers were laid off. In some stores this leaves the General Manager as the ONLY actual manager in the store. The rest of the store leadership is comprised of much, much lower paid supervisors that Staples expects to perform at the level that they were paying their Assistant Managers. The expectations are insane. There’s the company’s expectation and then there is the District Managers / Regional Vice Presidents expectation that are always much higher and unattainable. They literally expect perfection on all metrics and anything other than perfection is not tolerated. There is a serious disconnect between the directive from corporate and the directive from the DMs / RVPs. You can expect corporate to say one thing and the DMs / RVPs to say something completely different. Staples took away all of the incentives to be a General Manager. There are no more stock awards, they have made obtaining a bonus near impossible, salaries are on the decline, and they keep taking away store labor.

Advice to Management

Step down.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Retail Experience

Current Employee - Staples EasyTech Expert
    Current Employee - Staples EasyTech Expert

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent environment to hone interpersonal communication skills

Cons

Limited set of computer repair tools and software

Advice to Management

Invest more in a system that can be used to maintain more continuity amongst the staff.

Ok, but recent changes have me questioning that future of the company

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Staples has been a great company to work for with good pay and a good a good retail schedule. I have been given total autonomy in running my store and appreciate the trust and respect I have received from my District Manager

Cons

2012 was a tough year as company direction seemed to change daily. Morale also seems to be at an all time low.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples