There are newer employer reviews for Staples

A good starting place.

Current Employee - CP Supervisor
Current Employee - CP Supervisor

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working for Staples as a part-time job when I had more free time. It has a "small store" atmosphere that feels a lot more casual than other box stores I've worked. This is a great place to work at if you are currently in school and need a job on the side, or possibly even as a second job to bolster money from a "main" job.

Cons

Expects way more of a work load than they are willing to give out hours for. Compensation is not competitive for specialty jobs. Pay raises are now uniformly percentile based on your existing pay. Considering they start hiring at minimum wage frequently, this is not a good thing. Pay caps are low. There are few full-time positions to go around (two or three per store, generally, unless very high volume location) and any other people who deserve better hours or pay are basically out of luck.

Stop basing training & sales strategies around ideal scenarios and start basing it around how the stores are actually being run - often very understaffed.

reviews filtered by

Decent work for college-aged people

Former Employee - EasyTech Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - EasyTech Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Staples part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learn useful skills such as customer service, sales, multi-tasking

Cons

A lot of thankless work, managers focused on their own individual goals

Give stores more autonomy, consider ground-level employees perspective who work in your stores daily when planning vision for the future.

2. Run-don't walk away from this hot mess!

Current Employee - Copy Center Associate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Copy Center Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Staples part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Seriously...none that I can think of. Just another corp. that offers extremely low wages & recruits mainly ex McDonald's employees.

Cons

Loutish,lazy & not very bright co workers. Low pay & man hours cut to the bone. Mainly staffed by the people who wander from one retail job to the next. All the usual high sounding principles & values -- all ignored by reality. Management promoted on the basis of sales record rather than any discernible abilities. Revolving door of employees.

Hire & promote people who are organized,disciplined,dedicated & at least have some management skills.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples