Staples

www.staples.com

Restructuring Killed the Company

General Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat benefits at an affordable price. I loved a lot of the people I worked with. Their approach to customers (through the VIBE training program) is one of the best I have worked with. As well they invest money into theme days at the store to help bolster morale.

ConsWhen the company restructured they didn't communicate it properly to employees on the ground level. Management was forbidden to tell them much, and a lot of staff heard about my assistant leaving when they were helping out at another store. The company should have been more transparent about what was happen, as the change destroyed the morale in my store.
Staples gives next to no training hours for new employees and have complicated computer training for them to complete, which trick questions during the test. Further, the training modules are out-dated and don't help the employee when they are in real-life scenarios with customers. The whole program needs to be re-vamped.
Lastly, with the restructuring, the amount of work on the management increased tremendously. It made it impossible for myself, as a General Manager, to see to the day-to-day things I needed to get to, as I was on the floor helping in tasks or serving customers, as the hours had been slashed. I was a glorified sales associate and unable to grow or drive my business/team. For a company that is not going out of business, they are starting to treat their employees like they are and making their jobs very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting hours. Invest more in training. You will never get where you want to go if you don't invest in your people.

Great company to work for

Copy Center Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Staples part-time for more than a year

Pros: Even if you're a part time employee they give you an option to have benefits. You learn a lot and depending… Cons: Sometimes the amount of upselling gets ridiculous, and focus on a lot of things at once. This… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Its ok

Office Supply Associate (Former Employee) Worcester, MA

I worked at Staples part-time for less than a year

Pros: I worked with some cool people Cons: Little pay Boring environment The job your expected to do is not… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Staples.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!