There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Restructuring Killed the Company

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Houston, TX
Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Staples full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits at an affordable price. I loved a lot of the people I worked with. Their approach to customers (through the VIBE training program) is one of the best I have worked with. As well they invest money into theme days at the store to help bolster morale.

Cons

When the company restructured they didn't communicate it properly to employees on the ground level. Management was forbidden to tell them much, and a lot of staff heard about my assistant leaving when they were helping out at another store. The company should have been more transparent about what was happen, as the change destroyed the morale in my store.
Staples gives next to no training hours for new employees and have complicated computer training for them to complete, which trick questions during the test. Further, the training modules are out-dated and don't help the employee when they are in real-life scenarios with customers. The whole program needs to be re-vamped.
Lastly, with the restructuring, the amount of work on the management increased tremendously. It made it impossible for myself, as a General Manager, to see to the day-to-day things I needed to get to, as I was on the floor helping in tasks or serving customers, as the hours had been slashed. I was a glorified sales associate and unable to grow or drive my business/team. For a company that is not going out of business, they are starting to treat their employees like they are and making their jobs very stressful.

Stop cutting hours. Invest more in training. You will never get where you want to go if you don't invest in your people.

1979 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

Too much responsibility for too little pay

Current Employee - Copy Center Service Expert  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Copy Center Service Expert in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great experience to learn time management and effective customer service. The atmosphere for representatives on the floor was relaxed and management kept open communication with the employees.

Cons

There were few opportunities for advancement, and management consistently asked for greater and greater performance without any incentives in pay or even tokens of appreciation.

At the store level, Staples is trying to squeeze more money out of fixed labor costs, and is clearly trying to transition into a company that sells technology and copy-center services without giving the proper training or support. If you want repeat customers, have more well-trained employees on hand, and pay them properly for their time.

If not for desperation, I would have left already

Current Employee - EasyTech Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Staples part-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff is pretty cool. Everyone seems to get along and have no issues helping you. Most of the management is cool too but can forget their duties chatting with other associates.

Cons

This is the worst training I've had by far at any work place. I got hired as a Easy Tech associate probably because I'm a girl AND filled a purpose. The computer Certs are buggy and not at all helpful. After the 50 something videos and quizzes they just threw me on the floor and expected me to sell sell sell. How, with barely enough product knowledge to sound like I know what I'm talking about. there was an attempt at one on one training but that got side tracked by the manager chatting about their weekend to an associate that was off of work. the floor models never function properly so when demoing a product you tend to look like you dont know what your doing which makes people less likely to buy. when a manager asks how are things all they care about are plans but there is barely any information outside of the training videos and pamphlets.

The training program needs a miracle. Maybe hire or promote an training team or person. maybe have product classes where more information is given. or a training manual you can sign for and take home. between training and raising the pay the company should over all excel.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!