Staples

www.staples.com
  www.staples.com
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

A great learning experience, one that I have had to seek for myself.

Current Employee - Team Supervisor
Current Employee - Team Supervisor

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The environment is good, until you do something wrong.

Cons

Staples does not have a focus. The values that Staples proclaims is one that any employee can be proud of, however the standards are not kept within the requirements of day-to-day operations.

Cutting people on the lower end does save payroll. But so would cutting some execs at the top. The pyramid built by Staples has so many levels that they forget that their salaries are paid by the sales and the efforts by those making $8 an hour.

2204 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

I really enjoy my co-workers and the management at the store I work at but don't feel as good about corporate.

Current Employee - Copy Center Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Copy Center Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Staples part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment, ability to work with quality machines/products in the Copy & Print Center. You get paid weekly which I like and they have decent deals they provide to their employees.

Cons

The store I work at has about 25-30 employees but only 2 people are "full-time", the Sales Manager and the General Manager. However, there are actually 10 employees including me that work full-time hours but are classified as part-time. I believe they are doing this to avoid having to provide us with health insurance. I don't really even fully blame Staples for this as I believe it's being done due to the passage of 'Obamacare'. The health care law is having a terrible impact on many staples employees nationwide.

I work in the Copy & Print Center and see how profitable the department could be if you hired qualified, motivated people. I think if you raised the wages for Copy & Print employees from the current $8.85/hr to $12-13/hr you would attract far more competent people and the turnover for these positions would plummet. The Copy & Print Center does higher sales and better quality production when the CPC associates are all on the same page and each knows their roles. Teamwork is essential and will never be fully accomplished with the current high turnover rate among CPC associates. I believe raising the CPC associate wages would actually increase profits by attracting far more qualified people. With qualified, highly motivated, and sales-driven CPC associates I believe the sky is the limit for Staples' Copy & Print Center. I know our CPC can be #1 and FEDEX Kinkos will be a thing of the past. Lets make Staples Copy & Print the only place to go for all people & businesses copy & print needs. I hope you consider this.

Restructuring Killed the Company

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Staples full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits at an affordable price. I loved a lot of the people I worked with. Their approach to customers (through the VIBE training program) is one of the best I have worked with. As well they invest money into theme days at the store to help bolster morale.

Cons

When the company restructured they didn't communicate it properly to employees on the ground level. Management was forbidden to tell them much, and a lot of staff heard about my assistant leaving when they were helping out at another store. The company should have been more transparent about what was happen, as the change destroyed the morale in my store.
    Staples gives next to no training hours for new employees and have complicated computer training for them to complete, which trick questions during the test. Further, the training modules are out-dated and don't help the employee when they are in real-life scenarios with customers. The whole program needs to be re-vamped.
    Lastly, with the restructuring, the amount of work on the management increased tremendously. It made it impossible for myself, as a General Manager, to see to the day-to-day things I needed to get to, as I was on the floor helping in tasks or serving customers, as the hours had been slashed. I was a glorified sales associate and unable to grow or drive my business/team. For a company that is not going out of business, they are starting to treat their employees like they are and making their jobs very stressful.

Stop cutting hours. Invest more in training. You will never get where you want to go if you don't invest in your people.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples