My times at Staples

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - District Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good upward mobility if you are willing to move Company keeps up with business trends and changes accordingly Solid, sustainable business model

Cons

If you're in a non-revenue producing division, the changes might affect you negatively (but that happens at any company)

Advice to Management

More anonymous feedback from employees through surveys etc.

Other Employee Reviews for Staples

1. Restructuring Killed the Company

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits at an affordable price. I loved a lot of the people I worked with. Their approach to customers (through the VIBE training program) is one of the best I have worked with. As well they invest money into theme days at the store to help bolster morale.

Cons

When the company restructured they didn't communicate it properly to employees on the ground level. Management was forbidden to tell them much, and a lot of staff heard about my assistant leaving when they were helping out at another store. The company should have been more transparent about what was happen, as the change destroyed the morale in my store. Staples gives next to no training hours for new employees and have complicated computer training for them to complete, which trick questions during the test. Further, the training modules are out-dated and don't help the employee when they are in real-life scenarios with customers. The whole program needs to be re-vamped. Lastly, with the restructuring, the amount of work on the management increased tremendously. It made it impossible for myself, as a General Manager, to see to the day-to-day things I needed to get to, as I was on the floor helping in tasks or serving customers, as the hours had been slashed. I was a glorified sales associate and unable to grow or drive my business/team. For a company that is not going out of business, they are starting to treat their employees like they are and making their jobs very stressful.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting hours. Invest more in training. You will never get where you want to go if you don't invest in your people.

They talk the talk but don't walk the walk

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Staples full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Assistant managers are paid hourly. You work the retail standard of 45 hours per week, however, should you go over 45 hours you are paid true overtime.

Cons

There is little to no valuable training. The expectation is you will take a 15-30 minute online tutorial and be able to execute your role flawlessly. There is much propaganda for concern for the ethical treatment of employees, but in my own experience it is the opposite. I reported my superior for an ethics situation and the result was to move me to another store. One week later when they couldn't find another assistant to work with this manager I was moved back. This manager is still employed despite their inability to execute simple leadership functions. Unfortunately this is simply one example of a long laundry list of similar situations. This company is very fond of conference calls, which allow store managers to say what upper management wants to hear, but upper management does not go into the stores often enough to find that the store managers are not delivering on these phone call promises. The result is an under-performing district.

Advice to Management

Instead of laying off managers, or restructuring roles to pay assistant managers half of what they should be earning, invest in a formal, consistent education process for employees. Lessen the amount of conference calls and get in the stores to work one on one with the team members.