1949 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

My times at Staples

Current Employee - District Sales Manager  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - District Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Staples full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good upward mobility if you are willing to move
Company keeps up with business trends and changes accordingly
Solid, sustainable business model

Cons

If you're in a non-revenue producing division, the changes might affect you negatively (but that happens at any company)

More anonymous feedback from employees through surveys etc.

Other Reviews for Staples

They talk the talk but don't walk the walk

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Staples full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Assistant managers are paid hourly. You work the retail standard of 45 hours per week, however, should you go over 45 hours you are paid true overtime.

Cons

There is little to no valuable training. The expectation is you will take a 15-30 minute online tutorial and be able to execute your role flawlessly.

There is much propaganda for concern for the ethical treatment of employees, but in my own experience it is the opposite. I reported my superior for an ethics situation and the result was to move me to another store. One week later when they couldn't find another assistant to work with this manager I was moved back. This manager is still employed despite their inability to execute simple leadership functions. Unfortunately this is simply one example of a long laundry list of similar situations.

This company is very fond of conference calls, which allow store managers to say what upper management wants to hear, but upper management does not go into the stores often enough to find that the store managers are not delivering on these phone call promises. The result is an under-performing district.

Instead of laying off managers, or restructuring roles to pay assistant managers half of what they should be earning, invest in a formal, consistent education process for employees. Lessen the amount of conference calls and get in the stores to work one on one with the team members.

One of the worst companies to work for in MA

Former Employee - Director  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Framingham, MA

I worked at Staples full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Constant change does allow you to work on different things....helps with exposure to different part of the business.

Cons

Lack of executive leadership
    Lack of strategic direction
    Constant changes in long range plans
    Excessive workload and worse work life balance

There are newer employer reviews for Staples.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!