There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Too much responsibility for too little pay

Current Employee - Copy Center Service Expert in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Copy Center Service Expert in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great experience to learn time management and effective customer service. The atmosphere for representatives on the floor was relaxed and management kept open communication with the employees.

Cons

There were few opportunities for advancement, and management consistently asked for greater and greater performance without any incentives in pay or even tokens of appreciation.

At the store level, Staples is trying to squeeze more money out of fixed labor costs, and is clearly trying to transition into a company that sells technology and copy-center services without giving the proper training or support. If you want repeat customers, have more well-trained employees on hand, and pay them properly for their time.

2104 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

Worst sales experience in all my 20+ years of selling!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Stamford, CT

I worked at Staples full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good benefits; sales training was excellent.

Cons

Poor planning; poor customer service; poor sales managers which didn't have the ability to manage and/or execute experienced sales team! The relationship between the various sales teams throughout the company was very poor; at times we were selling to the same customer the same services and management never resolved these issues. Sales would sell a service and then without the client’s knowledge another sales team would come into to manage the sales process. Management stated they cared about customer service, but from my experience with situations where client satisfaction mattered, management always cared more about Staples bottom-line and not the customer’s satisfaction!

If not for desperation, I would have left already

Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - EasyTech Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Staples part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff is pretty cool. Everyone seems to get along and have no issues helping you. Most of the management is cool too but can forget their duties chatting with other associates.

Cons

This is the worst training I've had by far at any work place. I got hired as a Easy Tech associate probably because I'm a girl AND filled a purpose. The computer Certs are buggy and not at all helpful. After the 50 something videos and quizzes they just threw me on the floor and expected me to sell sell sell. How, with barely enough product knowledge to sound like I know what I'm talking about. there was an attempt at one on one training but that got side tracked by the manager chatting about their weekend to an associate that was off of work. the floor models never function properly so when demoing a product you tend to look like you dont know what your doing which makes people less likely to buy. when a manager asks how are things all they care about are plans but there is barely any information outside of the training videos and pamphlets.

The training program needs a miracle. Maybe hire or promote an training team or person. maybe have product classes where more information is given. or a training manual you can sign for and take home. between training and raising the pay the company should over all excel.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples