Staples

www.staples.com

The one hand doesn't know what the other is doing

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Saint Augustine, FL

ProsThe fact is that the company has a well meaning goal. Assist the customer and get them to the products and services that they need and desire. The work is good, and the hours okay.

ConsResources. The fact is that being micromanaged from the top on down doesn't allow for a consistent goal, nor does it allow for flexibility of the local management teams to set out, try something new, different see what sticks. Tow the line or be fired. As far as management is concerned anyway, try and get an unruly associate fired and its like pulling teeth.

The stores need hours and bodies to accomplish the goals that they have set out to accomplish to show the earnings that they would like to for Wall Street. As it stands, I don't see this as a business that I could recommend to anyone but as a part time employee. Any other job here is not going to be pleasant and will quickly end up finding you burned out and exhausted in a way that defies imagination. The target will be constantly moving, and changing. All while appeasing one new upper management mandate over another to find yourself in a tail spin of inadequacies trying to make a lame excuse that sounds like it has some veracity to it so that you can find yourself in a place that adequately compels the upper manager to either leave you alone or write you up.

I work MORE hours now, in a MORE process oriented MORE sales driven and MORE stress filled environment. And find myself more satisfied, because the resources that I need are at my disposal.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the managers the hours, the bodies and the pay that those bodies deserve. If your full timers can apply and get food stamps, that is a sign that there needs to be a re-thinking of pay scale. Give one achievable goal, and let the management teams do what you hired them to do without micromanaging. Hold them accountable, but let them run the business that you hired them to do. There is no reason for continual district manager oversight on something that truly doesn't need it. Let your managers manage. Give them specific budgets, and let them go. Stop cutting the hours in your stores, if you want the customer service expectations that you had in my tenure, the only way to achieve them is by putting the associates in front of the customers. You can't do that when there aren't enough associates to go around.

A job to get experience

Resident Easy Tech (Current Employee) Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Staples part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: A good place to start career Nice environment You can learn a… Cons: Schedule a change a lot The salary is low A big company… Advice to Senior Management: You have people earning low salaries, is ok for starters,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Cliquey

Cashier (Former Employee) Plaistow, NH

I worked at Staples part-time for more than a year

Pros: Not super busy, so generally low-stress, except back to school season and some holidays. If friends with management, it… Cons: If not friends with management, it was more difficult to deal with the job. Low paying, barely… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Staples.

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!