There are newer employer reviews for Staples

The one hand doesn't know what the other is doing

Former Employee - Operations Manager  in  Saint Augustine, FL
Former Employee - Operations Manager in Saint Augustine, FL

I worked at Staples full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The fact is that the company has a well meaning goal. Assist the customer and get them to the products and services that they need and desire. The work is good, and the hours okay.

Cons

Resources. The fact is that being micromanaged from the top on down doesn't allow for a consistent goal, nor does it allow for flexibility of the local management teams to set out, try something new, different see what sticks. Tow the line or be fired. As far as management is concerned anyway, try and get an unruly associate fired and its like pulling teeth.

The stores need hours and bodies to accomplish the goals that they have set out to accomplish to show the earnings that they would like to for Wall Street. As it stands, I don't see this as a business that I could recommend to anyone but as a part time employee. Any other job here is not going to be pleasant and will quickly end up finding you burned out and exhausted in a way that defies imagination. The target will be constantly moving, and changing. All while appeasing one new upper management mandate over another to find yourself in a tail spin of inadequacies trying to make a lame excuse that sounds like it has some veracity to it so that you can find yourself in a place that adequately compels the upper manager to either leave you alone or write you up.

I work MORE hours now, in a MORE process oriented MORE sales driven and MORE stress filled environment. And find myself more satisfied, because the resources that I need are at my disposal.

Give the managers the hours, the bodies and the pay that those bodies deserve. If your full timers can apply and get food stamps, that is a sign that there needs to be a re-thinking of pay scale. Give one achievable goal, and let the management teams do what you hired them to do without micromanaging. Hold them accountable, but let them run the business that you hired them to do. There is no reason for continual district manager oversight on something that truly doesn't need it. Let your managers manage. Give them specific budgets, and let them go. Stop cutting the hours in your stores, if you want the customer service expectations that you had in my tenure, the only way to achieve them is by putting the associates in front of the customers. You can't do that when there aren't enough associates to go around.

2010 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

Cliquey

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Plaistow, NH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Plaistow, NH

I worked at Staples part-time for more than a year

Pros

Not super busy, so generally low-stress, except back to school season and some holidays.
    If friends with management, it was easier to deal with the job.
    Made friends with most coworkers.
    Flexible hours that worked with my school schedule.

Cons

If not friends with management, it was more difficult to deal with the job.
    Low paying, barely minimum wage.
    Pressure to sell service plans, credit, and rewards cards.
    Very early morning weekend store meetings.

A job to get experience

Current Employee - Resident Easy Tech  in  Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Resident Easy Tech in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Staples part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A good place to start career
    Nice environment
    You can learn a lot about retail store, tech and copy and print business

Cons

Schedule a change a lot
    The salary is low
    A big company with many rules sometime in contradiction

You have people earning low salaries, is ok for starters, but for people with experience is bad

There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Worked for Staples? Contribute to the Community!