Staples

www.staples.com
  www.staples.com
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Staples is a good entry level job. You can advance but all salaries are capped.

I worked at Staples full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

With the right managers and district manager you will do fine. Opportunity is available within in the store if you are comfortable with being cross trained in all areas of the store.

Cons

Minimum raise yearly based on a points system. At one time the raises were decent but now all positions are capped. Many full time associates are now capped. Many of these associates are long time employees and deserve higher salaries.

Reward your employees. Most employees are working very hard but a lot of expectations are put on them. Customers do want to come in and shop however there are many destination shoppers and they want to cash out quickly. Too many things are offered at the register and it holds them up. Many of the destination shoppers are repeat customers and they don't want to hear the same thing every time they shop in the store.

2142 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

Does Not Pay Enough

Current Employee - Copy Center Expert
    Current Employee - Copy Center Expert

I have been working at Staples full-time

Pros

Lovely people to work with

Cons

Does not pay enough to make the bills. Corporate not in tune with actual people who make their money.

It isn't easy. It can take an hour to order someone paper off the website. Stick to office supplies. No one cares that Staples "has it" all. Takes too long to move up. Reward actual intelligence and motivation, not the fact that someone has trudged along for ten years at minimum wage. Turnover should be a sign that you are doing something wrong.

Although I was only employed for two weeks,For the most part great place to work.

Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Team Supervisor in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Staples full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits Benefits Benefits! In Addition, checks are issued weekly which for me makes bills and household expenses easier to manage.

Cons

After only two weeks, I can only recall a lack of motivation among the crew and a "in crowd" type culture. I believe this to be common in retail and was certainly not a deal breaker for me, since I do well in staying clear of those issues. The motivation factor is something I believe I could have helped to improve.

My only reservation is the treatment of individuals with misdemeanors in applying for jobs. I had excellent references and a spectacular work history and extensive management experience and training. I am also college educated (not to say that this makes me better but I believe it to be a good trait in management) The General manager and assistant manager said that they had not interviewed a more worthy management candidate in a very long while. Because I was interviewing as a Manager candidate, the District Manager also conducted an interview and was similarly impressed with my presentation and qualifications. I trained for nearly two weeks and began to adjust and feel comfortable with the company and my particular store. Then I got a package in the mail from what i'm guessing was the corporate compliance office. The package contained my background check and a letter notifying me that because of a non-violent misdemeanor I received in 2010 the company would most likely not retain me. I called in on the day I received the letter and asked weather I needed to come in and work my scheduled shift because of the package I received. The assistant manager seemed confused but told me to come in anyway. When I got there, neither he or the general manager was present to explain the situation and what the next steps would be, if any. I looked at the posted schedule however and noticed that I had not been scheduled for the coming pay period. This leads me to believe that the General manger was aware on some level of the situation regarding my background check. I worked the shift that night, a Saturday, leaving a note in the office addressed to both the General and Assistant Manager, asking them to contact me and make me aware of the situation. I never received any such notification. All this being said I will have it known that I have complete respect for what I am guessing to be the company's policy regarding criminal background checks; I made a mistake and the consequences are mine to bare. I simply wish management could have been a bit more courteous in the way that they let me go.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples