There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Staples part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cons

I just applied and was accepted for a job at Staples. I am upset because the Manager had paperwork containing my SSN AND LICENSE INFO on her desk, piled loosely along with all the other new-hires, out in the open on her desk with the office door wide open for days. She is always being called away from her office in the short 3 hours I was there, encountered many staff people walking by and a lot of foot traffic too, while doing training videos in her office.

My 1st day of mandatory training there consisted mostly of how they stress the importance of not becoming part of a Union and encouraging us not to sign paperwork, should we approached by a union representative. The other big portion of the training was about the ACA. and having to do with Obamacare. This included an intensive test at the end on just these 2-things alone, and taking about 1.5 hours of time training on this, when I am only doing a minimum wage part-time register job, and none of this having to do with a register or the values of good customer service.

Also, the ad I applied for was for the Copy and Print Center. They do not hire full time at all apparently, with the exception for the Managers. I also had to go through a detailed over-the-phone interview with a government agency, even though I possessed valid US Citizenship, which I provided. The Manager had told us that they get a credit from the government for every person they have call in.

I quit the job today too, based on those things mentioned above and also fellow-potential employees appearance and attitude. Some looked like they rolled out of bed and came to work, and cursing in the break room in front of new hires while waiting for the Manager to arrive on our first meeting to do paperwork. They were also arguing with the Manager how much time they had left on break. I do not wish to work in an environment with a caliber of people whom do not seem to care or respect each other, let alone themselves.

Overall, I am very upset by the level of care and neglect given to employees's personal and confidential paperwork. I will be filing a formal complaint with Staples Headquarters on Monday about this.

2074 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

The most morally challenging job I've had

Former Employee - Onsite Technician in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Onsite Technician in Macon, GA

I worked at Staples full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If I must think of a pro, I guess it would be that they paid on time, but that's literally all I can think of.

Cons

Management is uninterested at best, and only focuses on making quotas. No care as to how the quotas are met.
    Corporate is shoved down the throats of every employee, and will secret shop to make sure you are offering the 300 different things you're to push on people.
    EasyTech is a money grabbing scam. We were TOLD to use shady tactics and take advantage of people. Older people that didn't know much about PCs, we were taught to do whatever it takes to upsell them things they didn't need.
    I came from an IT background, and rarely was iI allowed to actually fix computers. I was the onsite tech, but 90% of my time was spent trying to sell Staples cards or insurance plans. Which are also a huge scam.
    No other worker there knew a thing about PCs, as they would promote office supply workers to EasyTech on a whim.
    One of the other techs while I was there, bricked a computer by snapping the MoBo trying to pull it out, without releasing all of the screws. Seriously.
    This company is underhanded, and shady.
    If you're interested in working on computers, go work for a small IT company. You'll learn nothing at Staples.

Trash your entire business model and start over.

Pretentious management that leads to overall team discontent.

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Lawrence, MA
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Lawrence, MA

I worked at Staples as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

its a stepping stone if you want to learn how to deal with overly demanding supervisors, deal with an arrogant manager that nods his head but is not listening to anything unless it has to do with his bottom line.

Cons

Corporate mentality, accountability of responsibilities is based on strictly on numbers lacking the many other qualities of human interaction. The work schedule is juggled electronically to manage and control overtime.
    Ethics are seldom something that is honored. The employee handbook is mostly a tool that is vague and will change to empower the company in every aspect.

EOE is not just something to type on a job posting because its a federal mandate.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples