Staples

www.staples.com
There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Happy, as long as we keep reinventing.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Framingham, MA
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Major re-invention, second largest eCommerce player, great team.

Cons

Large bureaucracy, some holdovers from the retail mindset.

Be bolder, act more like a private company.

2293 Other Employee Reviews for Staples (View Most Recent)

Company is Crumbeling

Former Employee - Inside Account Manager in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Inside Account Manager in Livonia, MI

I worked at Staples full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I was an Inside Account Manager and the pay used to be really good. Not so much anymore. Learned a lot about selling. Lots of different items to sell.

Cons

Worst management staff on the planet. Double digit decline in sales year over year. You cannot go to one person for an answer. They have to ask there manager, and then they ask there manager. Cut pay by 50% even though your division is doing the best.

Go back to selling 101. Take care of your employees and they will take care of you. Worst management staff i have ever worked for.

Overworked and under-scheduled!

Former Employee - Copy & Print Center Associate
    Former Employee - Copy & Print Center Associate

I worked at Staples part-time

Pros

Pretty good values considering we are talking about retail. The training process was well-designed and helpful.

Cons

-The schedule. As a part-time associate in the copy & print center, I did not get more than 20 hours a week and would usually get 3h long shift and then a full day (usually on weekends).
    -Management expects waaaay too much. Working in the copy & print center, I'm earning the same as a cashier...yet I was expected to drive sales up, basically by asking tons of questions to every business owner that walks in the store. Then the manager would talk to me once a day to find out what I learned about new clients. The amount of information we had to gather on new customers was ridiculous and a lot of people were not comfortable with associates trying to learn everything about them. And the girl who had been in the copy & print center for years was expected to do even more than that (she was responsible for ordering more supplies) and was way underpaid for the amount of work she did.
    -The store I worked at was often under-staffed. I often did not get to take my breaks (15 min unpaid break). Since my schedule was usually a 3 hour or 4h long shift, I was driving to the store to get paid for less than I actually worked.
    - The benefits offered were decent, but I couldn't afford opting in since I was working less than 20 hours a week.
    - We had daily goals to achieve (sign up so many people for the rewards program, sell them season passes to get discounts, etc). I specifically asked during the interview process if there were any quotas to meet as far as sales were concerned and was told no.

- Don't ask your copy & print associates to stalk the customers, it's really uncomfortable and I think people are more likely to go somewhere else if they can't order a few copies without being asked a ton of questions.
    - Giving short shifts to associates and having them work during unpaid breaks is not cool.
    - Prices are not competitive at all when compared to online shopping options.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples