There are newer employer reviews for Staples

Staples good pay demanding on general manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is good hours are acceptable

Cons

Upper management will not allow GM to make management decisions

Allow GM to be GM

reviews filtered by

Easy Tech Isn't Easy and Is Going Down The Tubes

Former Employee - Resident Easy Tech
    Former Employee - Resident Easy Tech

I worked at Staples part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to most of the latest consumer technology products as they are released. The satisfaction of solving customer’s technology problems and making them happy. Good co-workers. Somewhat flexible scheduling. Good General Manger and Sales Manager, which can make what can be a very difficult and stressful job bearable. Good customer service training.

Cons

As big-box retail is taking a hit, store “associates” obviously are bearing the greatest burden. Part-time hour cap at 25 hours or less (there is no longer even the pretense of your hours being tied to hitting the usual unrealistic sales goals any more). Only upward career path for Easy Tech is to into store management as an “Easy Tech Expert” where at least you get full-time hours and benefits. Unfortunately, any Easy Tech who is not an "Expert" is not entitled to full-time hours or benefits and will remain part-time for the duration.

Part-time pay and benefits are terrible, as are the “raises” that add 50 cents to your hourly rate—if you’re lucky.

Horrifically slow and antiquated POS system overburdened with too many applications, crashes frequently and requires constant manager-on-duty intervention for the simplest customer transaction.

Bad management at the store and district manager level using the “better leadership through bullying and intimidation” technique only accomplishes low-morale and high turnover.

For all that is expected of Easy Tech—servicing computers within a reasonable time frame, stocking shelves, breaking-down trucks, pull-lists, constantly bailing-out front-end cashiers when there’s more than two people waiting on line at the one and only register open, and trying to drive tech *and* mobile phone sales when Staples doesn't bother to advertise tech services or mobile phones—we should get commissions on what we service and sell—but don’t.

MATRIX service is NO substitute for an experienced tech on the premises assigned to getting the customer's issue resolved as quickly and efficiently as possible while keeping the customer in the loop on your progress. And nowhere near as good as Support.com before they were dropped by Staples. I've had to go in and finish virus removals more than once after MATRIX didn't completely clean the customer's PC the first time.

If you’re serious about selling tech products and services, especially mobile products, then you need to *advertise* that you do rather than rely on associates to stalk customers all over the store trying to get them to buy everything that isn’t nailed-down.

Set *attainable* sales goals and pay your in-store people better. Give Easy Techs commissions, because what they are selling is worth more than pencils and reams of paper.

Getting really bad

Current Employee - Sales and Service Manager in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Manager in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Staples full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We have some really good Store Managers, Assistant Managers and Supervisors in the stores. Customer Service is very good with what we are in control of at store level.

Cons

All upper management. Not enough employees in the store to get all the work done and give the customer the service they deserve. Customer service is really not good on things that are out of our control at store level. They want us to sell phones/Apple products and threaten our jobs over this daily. The Tech Department has changed so much in our offerings the team can't keep up with what we are selling. Training is a joke given the fact that they must train but corporate gives us no training hours. The network issues makes selling tech services and mobile phones take way too long. KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!

The upper management needs to really look at each other and work as a team. They are finger pointing and putting the blame on lower management for Staples problems. When you threaten your store teams with the loss of their jobs daily and they wonder every time the district manager comes to visit if this is their last day of employment this is not good. They are only looking for new employment with other companies and Staples will be losing a lot of talent in their stores.

There are newer employer reviews for Staples