NSP

Former Employee - Buyer in Framingham, MA
Former Employee - Buyer in Framingham, MA

I worked at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate headquarters. Work from home, there are 3000 employees, cafeteria, monotonous, good for someone who is middle aged or a family person, not for young person, some days I would walk past middle management or supervisors and they would not even say hello even tho I was looking them in the face, rude! There is a CYA attitude and blame is passed, senior management or department managers always changing to other openings.

Cons

Cubicle all day, 9hours on computer, passive aggressive emails, duties were constantly changing including hours I worked 830-5 then was switched to rotating hours starting between 9-11am and ending 530-8pm. Worked I a new program which never succeeded. I was a temp for what I was told was 90days and I worked 1year and was never offered full time benefits. When I spoke up I was advised to look for other jobs within the company, I applied for inside sales and I met all the qualifications and exceeded some. Sales required hs diploma and I have a bachelors. I was never offered an interview after the phone screen even tho I had experience in the company and higher education than some applicants. Ultimately being fed up with being contract employee caused my performance to suffer.

Advice to Management

Once you are in a position and are needed it is hard to move, would be easier to leave the company then return in a higher role than move laterally or move up.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Extremely Stressful & Unorganized Company

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Staples part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The jobs themselves are fun and challenging physically, creatively, and otherwise. Most of the other associates are wonderful.

Cons

There are nearly no opportunities for advancement. Within the retail stores, at least, there are only six full-time positions, three of which belong to the managers. All other employees are considered part-time and only allowed 25-Hours--even during Back-To-School season. Poor hiring criteria results in many employees who stand around and talk or who quit without notice. While none of the employees who stand around are reprimanded, the employees who always work their hardest are blamed for the store not being perfect and all work not being done. Working in Staples is like working in a political game where one or two associates can wrap managers around their fingers and get whatever they want. Additionally, we are told that the goal is "money," not customers or relationships with said customers, but money. We are also told that there is "a difference between Staples and people." Managers do not back employees up, resulting in customers respecting employees less. All around, a place filled with disrespect, politics, and terrible stress.

Advice to Management

Think about people--the people who work for you and the people who come in to the store as customers. Don't just pick favorites and let that be it.

2. Staoles

Former Employee - B2B in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - B2B in Scranton, PA

I worked at Staples full-time (More than a year)

Pros

b2b sales outside sales yes

Cons

Management is unable to look outside the box

Advice to Management

look at others to lead