There are newer employer reviews for Staples UK

Good Job Crap Pay if your over 22

Current Employee - Team Leader in Leeds, England (UK)
Current Employee - Team Leader in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Staples UK

Pros

Easy Place to work, everyone can do anything, with right training. each shop is a close community and inturn so is each district.

Cons

Profit motivates this business over the staff. currently staples has cut all payroll down to less than what a shop can run. which in turn lets me down on my hours and overtime (which they expect for free) and nearly all promotions go on who you know and not what you know.

Consider the lives of the people you are cutting hours back on. You get so much money, we don't. In the end a high volume of staff turnover will come your way, because people cant pay there bills at staples

reviews filtered by
  1. Product Manager

Former Employee - Product Manager
    Former Employee - Product Manager

I worked at Staples UK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to "cut your teeth" as a starting role. Varied and intense workload providing multi-channel experience. Office Products is still quite a friendly industry so not as aggressive as some. In my time there there were a number of people who had been with the organization a long time and were happy to help you learn and advance, However, with a number of consolidations, re-locations and masses of redundancies I think the majority of these people have now moved on.

Cons

Poor work/life balance with a heavy workload. Much of this was driven by a resistance to change and masses of bureaucracy that one had to go through to get anything implemented. Also it felt like every decision had to be checked and ratified by commission and there was little scope for creativity. This meant most simple tasks took much longer than they should/could. Also it meant that we were unable to react quickly to changing micro and macro circumstances. There was also a lack of ambition to discuss and embrace new ideas.
    Staples also paid poorly for the area/industry, especially when you consider their location, and there appeared to be a ceiling to internal promotion making it difficult to advance your career beyond a certain level or move horizontally to different departments.

Sort out your supply chain and instead of having a warehouse full of stock try putting more into the stores. Even now, several years after leaving I often see empty shelves or no replenishment stock in Staples stores. Consider price matching major competitors and shout about it, including certain online giants! Empty shelves and high prices are a massive disincentive for people having to go all the way to a store. Improve the functionality of the website. People don't necessarily want masses of choice, they want to use a site that's easy to navigate, well laid out with the correct information and reviews. Staples have never been at the cutting edge, but appear to be being left behind quicker than ever these days and risk becoming irrelevant.

2. It was very bad, the people were not nice and management couldn't do anything.

Current Employee - Associate in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Staples UK

Pros

Sometimes customers were nice and that was good to get know more people

Cons

Staff can be very unfriendly and mean

Try harder to know what's actually going on in the stores and be fair to staff

There are newer employer reviews for Staples UK