There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Okay, It's a Job

Former Employee - Barista  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Tips
Insurance
Free pound a Coffee a week
Free Food
Free Drinks
Some Nice Customers
Some Co-Workers

That's a list of the good things. Over all, I was a very optimistic person when coming in to work. For me, the best time to work is in the afternoon because people are less cranky and more chill. I have meet some pretty amazing co-workers that I still keep in contact with. Some of the regulars knew my name and it was pretty nice. There were days that I really like my job. Also there is a mandatory raise every 6 months in the job. I believe its from 25cents-75cents more and hour. You get evaluated every month. One of my favourite parts was that i would go in early eat my bagel and drink my coffee before my shift, so I could start off at a good day. I miss that.

Cons

4:45am Shift
Throwing out the trash
Crazy Homeless people
Insane Line in the morning
Bad Manager
Selling stuff

Here's my list of the bad. I only lasted for Starbucks for 2 years and here is why. I transitioned from evening to morning shifts Really bad mistake. The lines at Starbucks in the morning are crazy long, but it makes time go ALOT faster. Same people, same drinks, same thing everyday. Oh, and when VIA first came out, we had to SELL it or we would get in trouble. Stupidest thing ever. And you get some really mean customers. One Homeless man threatened to beat me up after work. In a way its sorta funny now, but at the time it wasnt. I also had a manager who was lazy and never liked to do the dirty work. OH and don't let me get started on the sanitation. Some lady would go into the store unexpectedly and rate the stores sanitation. This is the reason why I quit. I remember my shift manager made me feel worthless bc she was in so much pressure. Just like any other job, it has its ups and down. If you want to work at Starbucks, go right ahead.

Treat others the way you like to be treated

4550 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

Always seemed like the scheduling was one person short

Former Employee - Barista  in  Lebanon, IN
    Former Employee - Barista in Lebanon, IN

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Challenging, fun when not overly busy, They do offer good benefits. I basically worked here just for the health benefits and flexible schedule. It was fun to get free drinks

Cons

Consistantly short staffed versus workload, low pay, Very stressful when busy trying to keep up - one more person on staff would make a world of difference. I was interested at first in moving up, but then saw how stressed the shift mgrs were, and many quit or moved back to Barista position.

C'mon be more realistic in staffing and labor hours for the work you want done. Seems like the decision makers are out of touch with what goes on in the store, or just not realistic.

Political and collaborative

Former Employee - Learning and Development  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Learning and Development in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Good benefits, competitive salary, customer-focused

Cons

Highly political, undisciplined mid-management, overly collaborative culture

set some clear goals and eliminate barriers to project success

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!