Okay, It's a Job

Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

Tips Insurance Free pound a Coffee a week Free Food Free Drinks Some Nice Customers Some Co-Workers That's a list of the good things. Over all, I was a very optimistic person when coming in to work. For me, the best time to work is in the afternoon because people are less cranky and more chill. I have meet some pretty amazing co-workers that I still keep in contact with. Some of the regulars knew my name and it was pretty nice. There were days that I really like my job. Also there is a mandatory raise every 6 months in the job. I believe its from 25cents-75cents more and hour. You get evaluated every month. One of my favourite parts was that i would go in early eat my bagel and drink my coffee before my shift, so I could start off at a good day. I miss that.

Cons

4:45am Shift Throwing out the trash Crazy Homeless people Insane Line in the morning Bad Manager Selling stuff Here's my list of the bad. I only lasted for Starbucks for 2 years and here is why. I transitioned from evening to morning shifts Really bad mistake. The lines at Starbucks in the morning are crazy long, but it makes time go ALOT faster. Same people, same drinks, same thing everyday. Oh, and when VIA first came out, we had to SELL it or we would get in trouble. Stupidest thing ever. And you get some really mean customers. One Homeless man threatened to beat me up after work. In a way its sorta funny now, but at the time it wasnt. I also had a manager who was lazy and never liked to do the dirty work. OH and don't let me get started on the sanitation. Some lady would go into the store unexpectedly and rate the stores sanitation. This is the reason why I quit. I remember my shift manager made me feel worthless bc she was in so much pressure. Just like any other job, it has its ups and down. If you want to work at Starbucks, go right ahead.

Advice to Management

Treat others the way you like to be treated

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A bipolar floor on which to work

Current Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

Benefits, stock options, unlimited free coffee while working, lots of people to meet, a raise every six months based on performance, flexible schedule

Cons

Too much work for the wage, absurdly high standards of store cleanliness (QASA), everyone working is bipolar due to coffee intake, making it an emotional and dramatic place to work. You are more than just a barista, you're a non-commission sales representative, a custodian, a waiter and barista, working for the price of a barista!

Advice to Management

Promote people who actually deserve it.

2. Fun job- great benefits!

Former Employee - Barista in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Barista in Columbia, SC

I worked at Starbucks

Pros

-Great benefits -Fun workplace -Never the same thing each day -Exciting environment -Great space to move up in the company

Cons

- Rude customers - Lazy managers - Lots and lots of training but WELL worth it all! -Requires a good memory!

Advice to Management

- Have worked 3 Starbucks and have dealt with many different managers, some good and some bad... It all depends on the store I suppose.