Starbucks

www.starbucks.com
  www.starbucks.com
There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

it has its ups and downs

Former Employee - Barista in Gaithersburg, MD
Former Employee - Barista in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great customers, fun employees, learn lots of experience, free beverages while working, benefits are pretty good. high cleaning standards... usually.

Cons

company's mission statements are a lie, company is hypocritical, some corrupt employees, favoritism even with illegal activity so dont try to report anything bc you will get fired for it. they prefer liars and thieves. but some stores i am sure are different. my old store use to be great, until an unprofessional store manager was hired. manipulative, emotionally and mentally unstable. smh
oh and you gain tons of weight while employed. i lost of 25 pounds when i left after working there for 4.5 years. food and drinks are very unhealthy.

have higher standards for the people you hire. maybe you should stop hiring outside the company. what is the point of offering growth if you dont allow anyone to grow and instead you hire unfit people outside the company. sucks bc a few bad apples ruined my love for starbucks.

5135 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

One of the best corporate cultures around...

Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks (less than an year)

Pros

- Solid benefits
    - Incredible people
    - Challenging and creative work

Cons

- Somewhat risk averse
    - Too many management layers

Streamline the corporate ladder and consider more candidates from other career paths...they bring global perspective!

Great company, great people

Former Employee - Barista/Barista Trainer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Barista/Barista Trainer in Boston, MA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One thing I loved about working at Starbucks was the flexible hours, especially as a student. They are very accommodating to your life events, or at least my manager was. They stay committed to your hours per week as well. Even if your store is cutting hours, the manager is always more than happy to find you hours elsewhere. You also get weekly tips as a barista, which depending on your store can be very good or not as good. At my store we made on average an extra $1.20 per hour. Also another thing Starbucks is known for is it's benefits for even part time workers (20 hours or more). They have great health benefits, and also if you work there for longer than a year you can have a share in the company. The employee discount is 30%. Free drinks while working(and often even when you're not, your fellow baristas will hook you up), and one free pound of coffee beans per week. Also, you'll never work with people you'll dislike. I loved all of my coworkers, my guess is Starbucks has a very good screening technique for hiring and they like a certain personality and work ethic. If you fall into those requirements, then so does everybody else there and you'll more than likely get along great. You get an automatic $.50 raise after 6 months, (in my case I made $9.50 at this point. They started me at $1.00 above minimum wage.) After that it's based on performance. If you're thinking about becoming a barista there's definitely a lot to learn. Not only about preparing the drinks, but also the knowledge behind the coffee itself. It's history and its origins. I got to become a trainer before I left the company, 9 months into working there. They have a great method of training, and you'll feel very welcomed into the Starbucks family.

Cons

The only thing that I was personally disappointed with, was the fact that all employees were treated too much alike by my manager. (I know it sounds stupid, its generally a great thing.) But in my case, I was surpassing people who had worked there for years within months of employment in work efficiency and sales. I was just hoping to gain a higher position within the company a bit sooner. But let's face it, I was just impatient! I did earn a training position after 9 months of employment, and if I had decided to stay longer than a month after that I might have moved forward. There's also just the fact that working in customer service for a long time makes you a bit on edge. If you plan on staying with Starbucks for a long time, just know that even managers have to spend at least 30 hrs on the floor doing basically barista work. If you've stayed with the company this long (at this point, probably 5 to 10 years), then you'll probably expect something a little more managerial. You basically have the job of a partial full-time barista and managing all in one. Also know, Starbucks takes their coffee very seriously, so if you don't love it, don't do it! They expect the enthusiasm from you like you live for it so you can sell, sell, sell!

Please don't be discouraged by how long my con section is, there's basically only 2 things in here that I had a problem with. Starbucks is a great company to work for!

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks