Long time coffee lover

Former Employee - District Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - District Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-great culture
-great coffee
-great people
-lots of opportunities in different business units...if you go after then

Cons

-consistency of sr. leadership - lack clear focus at times

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Reasonably good benefits in America, rubbish ones in London

Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Starbucks-Barista in London, England (UK)

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In America: Health insurance, good base wage, good tips, nice laid back environment

Cons

In England: crappy wages, hardly any tips, freakishly busy

Advice to Management

Stop freaking out so much about unionization and standardization of unimportant little details. Workflows must be location-specific.

2. OK Company. Not a good place for a front-line supervisor, but manager or above and hourly, great place.

Current Employee - Production Supervisor
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Salary. Free pound of coffee every week. 30% discount on purchases. Vested in 401K from day 1. Stock Incentive Plan. Job security.

Cons

Front line supervisors are not eligible for bonuses that managers and above get. In fact bonus structure for front line supervisor is non-existent. Benefits for front line supervisors expensive. Group us in manager bracket but don't get paid manager level pay and bonuses so very expensive. I pay over $500 a month for medical insurance for my family. Hourly partners pay a lot less. Overtime is insane and as an exempt salaried, I get no compensation. Hourly partners can make more money than their supervisor because of the overtime. The overall culture towards supervisors are bad. Starbucks managers and above look at supervisors as expendable so no effort towards retention and job satisfaction. Starbucks slanted towards hourly partners so supervisors have no real authority. It's very difficult to hold people accountable and your every decision is second guessed.

Advice to Management

Give supervisors a better bonus structure, ways to earn extra income especially when working overtime. It is not right that hourly partners make more money. Give more authority to the supervisors. It's hard to hold people accountable when PR and Managers overrule supervisors all the time. You need another tier for benefits. Benefits for supervisor is expensive. Most important: Supervisors are partners too! Our opinions count and we deserve respect as well.