There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

My experience has been amazing

Current Employee - Store Manager in Kent, WA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Kent, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with are great.
The community involvement.
The focus on partner development

Cons

I cannot think of anything at this time

reviews filtered by
  1. Educational

Former Employee - Barista in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Chico, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Room for advancement.
    benefits
    environmentally friendly company.
    They have high standards for food and coffee as well as customer service.
    A company that you can be proud of. They believe in community service and are heavily involved in a lot of fundraising around the world and in the local communities.

Cons

Benefits are not the best but better than nothing.
    You have to maintain a certain amount of hours a month in order to continue to qualify for benefits.
    I feel that some regional managers still run with the old idea of motivating employees out of fear of losing their job. Or that in order to be an effective manager, your own employees have to dislike you.

Advice to Management

Management should be trained that positive reinforcement works best for a happy work atmosphere and happy employees.

Great company! Experience depends on your manager, though...

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Boise, ID

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free coffee, respect, a company that cares about its employees, great training, company that cares about their global impact and their customers.

Cons

Personally had trouble with my manager: hard to get time off, scheduling issues, inability to promote, but eventually realized that it was just my manager, not the company. The Regional Director was amazing and as soon as she was made aware of the issues, she took action. Also, have to admit that I wouldn't go back to a shift supervisor position... way too much work and responsibility for the pay (and I'm the kind of person who needs to be challenged).

Advice to Management

1) Shift supervisors do way more and are given so much more responsibility than you will ever realize (especially at stores w/o an ASM!) They also care more than you'll ever know! If you want to keep these dedicated employees, they need acknowledgement and compensation to match what they really do!
    2) Store Managers need more SUPPORTIVE, direct supervision than they get! After 5 years, it took a new RD coming to do a roundtable before issues were faced which had been going on for years...
    3) You have some of the hardest working, passionate and dedicated employees that I've ever met!

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks