There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

The bipolar employer.

Current Employee - Barista  in  Gaithersburg, MD
Current Employee - Barista in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great discount (30% + free drinks up to 30 minutes before/after shifts), "Roast" stocks option, saving accounts, etc.

Cons

Managers and supervisors are very nearly clinically bipolar. When a rush begins, it's nearly guaranteed that one will very nearly break down and take it out on the baristas. Also, guests can be extremely rude, as expected of any workplace.

Choose management more wisely. There are multiple management-ready baristas at my location, yet those above them are not quite so proficient.

4587 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

People passionate about doing things for the right reasons

Current Employee - Business Systems Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Actual support of work/life balance (not just quoting empty rhetoric), encourages active involvement in your local community, willing to take risks to try something new and equally willing to admit when something doesn't work.

Cons

Everyone likes to feel "good" about decisions, so a lot of time is wasted getting consensus from people who might not be the most qualified to have input. Since the economic downturn, flexible work arrangements (part-time, work from home, shared roles, etc.) have been limited when they would be most useful.

Trust your people and give them some loose chain to follow their ideas. Most partners I worked with (at the SSC) have their hearts in the right place and are honestly trying to do the right thing.

Easy interview, show initiative

Current Employee - Barista  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Barista in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Starbucks part-time

Pros

I applied for the job online and followed up on the application after 3 weeks. I called to see if they were hiring and they asked for my name and if I can meet with them in 2 days at the store. I met with the manager and asked me typical questions like "What was your last job" "Do you have experience in food/retail service" "Do you think you can work in a fast-paced environment" He stressed that the store gets very busy but I let him know I'm experienced in that type of environment. That seemed to convince him so he told me the benefits (free coffee each week, yay), the uniform, salary, etc and told me to bring my drivers license and social security the following week. It was an easy interview but I think my initiative to call the store and show that I'm interested in the job really helped me out.

Cons

There's a lot to learn in the beginning, it can get overwhelming the first couple weeks. I was told the last guy hired lasted only a day because it was too much for him and my particular store gets really intense. It takes a while to get the hang of it (I'm 2 days into training) but the more you work (and practice), the better you get.

(My sister's advice as a former Starbucks employee) Respect your employees and they will respect you. It benefits both sides.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!