Starbucks

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

The cleanest dirty shirt

Current Employee - Barista in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Barista in Washington, DC

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free drinks all the time. Free 1lb of coffee per week. Some fellow Barista's are great company. Looks better on the resume than if you worked at McDonald's. I guess employers might have a better connotation with the guy giving you your yuppie drink than the guy frying up burgers.

Cons

Sweeping floors, mopping floors, cleaning bathrooms, cleaning dishes. 60% of customers are really nice. 20% are emotionless. 20% are rude. That 20% sometimes ruins your day or at least the next three customers and affects your behavior towards the 60% of decent customers. People who handle food and drinks should not be expected to handle toilet cleaning duties as well as the other hazardous cleaning chemicals they demand you use, even with sub-par cleaning protective gloves. If it says in the back of the cleaning solution "if skin contacts skin, rinse for 20 minutes', I'm pretty sure that that's pretty hazardous. Gloves can't cover everything. People paid 9 dollars an hour don't really care for other people's hygiene, so I really doubt tongs and can-tines and carafes are really cleaned that well. It's constant standing with no down time, only a 10 minute break per shift and a 30 minute lunch break that is unpaid and mandatory if you work more than 6 hours in the shift.

Contract some outside janitorial staff.

5136 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

Shift Supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Starbucks full-time

Pros

You can meet some fun people while working here. Considering this is a retail position, the pay isn't that bad.

Cons

Hard to move beyond a shift supervisor level and therefore hard to move up in the company. Not much opportunity for a corporate career either as most of those jobs are located in their roasting plant cities or Seattle. You can meet some rude and ungrateful people while working here.

Great place to work, depending on where you work.

Former Employee - Barista in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Provides benefits.
    I had good co-workers, which made working a bit more fun/easy going.

Cons

Really depends on where you work.
    Customers really set the mood.

Make sure employees get their breaks. Sometimes, I would work without breaks.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks