There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

My store made it worth it

Former Employee - Barista in Indianapolis, IN
Former Employee - Barista in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close bonds with coworkers and manager Cozy atmosphere, was my 3rd place even as an employee Able to pick up shifts from other stores, flexible shifts which was great with school My store wasn't as rigid as other stores, probably because of it's location Free drinks and mark out each week Learned a lot about coffee Many of our regualr customers were great, good tippers as well Benefits for part time workers

Cons

Some customers were extremely innappropriate and rude, but there wasn't a lot that we felt we could do based on Starbucks policy that the customer is always right--sometimes they really aren't, and they take advantage Our store had a lot of unstable homeless folks coming in constantly, as well as drug activity in the area. We were also held up twice, and corporate didn't really show much concern besides having us close up an hour earlier at night. I believe this is what eventually led to the store being closed.

Advice to Management

You have a lot of talented people at the bottom--people who are being educated with bachelors and masters while working at your stores. You should better utlize your human capitol there, hire from within to corporate, since we already understand the culture and inner workings of the store.

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. Fast work, lots of fun, good benefits

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pays well for a starting job, enjoyable coworkers, flexible work hours, possibility for promotion, good discounts and benefits, all the coffee you can drink, free coffee every week

Cons

flexible work hours can result in awkward work hours - at work at 4 one morning and a few days later not getting off until 1 in the morning

2. Great for working students

Former Employee - Barista in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Brea, CA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to cover shifts at other stores Flexible schedule Decent pay Product discount perks

Cons

Customer service standards from corporate continually dropped over the years Stressful management Staying with the company became unattractive as all management positions were unhappy with their jobs.

Advice to Management

Bring back the emphasis on the "just say yes policy" Better perks for shift leads and store management positions (an extra $1/an hour is hardly incentive to take on the responsibility of a shift lead) New products are more of a distraction from the quality of Starbucks, as a customer prior to my employment they irritated me, and as a former employee they continue to bother me. I loved Starbucks for its atmosphere and coffee, additions on top of that cause a loss of focus for employees and customers.