Blood, Sweat, and Laughing Tears

Current Employee - Barista in Lone Tree, CO
Current Employee - Barista in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, great environment overall a good company to work for. Good development of employees. Feedback given both informally and formally in the form of six month reviews. Gives you are chance to know what areas you are doing well in and which areas to improve.

Cons

Understaffed. Calling in sick is basically non existent when you are a barista and especially if you are a shift supervisor. Dealing with difficult customers is a given because you are controlling their caffeine intake for the morning but you can develop some lasting friendships and good connections with both co-workers and customers

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Starbucks has treated me well, despite management changes

Current Employee - Barista in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starbucks offered me a quality training program, flexible scheduling, and competitive benefits for a mere 20 hours/week. My coworkers and managers were genuinely nice people. My store was located in a financial district, and it helped me network for a different job after I finished school. Even if I didn't immediately take a different position, I would feel comfortable at working for the company in a separate capacity after graduation.

Cons

Being a barista is a customer-facing job, and there can be a lot of obnoxious people. Sometimes I would be scheduled for hours in sporadic increments (35 hours one week, 10 the next). It took a while to feel comfortable making consistent beverages.

Advice to Management

Offer more resources to partners interested in joining "Corporate Starbucks."

2. Always changing

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Palos Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Palos Heights, IL

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free coffee, customers become like an extended family, tips

Cons

Starbucks is always changing standards and routines, if you don't like change, this is not for you. Even though Starbucks has standards in place, each store varies tremendously on how it is run.

Advice to Management

Please make watching how a supervisor or assistant runs the floor a requirement for promotion. I have seen many assistants get promoted to manager, but they can't keep the floor running smoothly. Also, please look harder at your current employees before turning to outside hires.