Great co-workers, infuriating customers

Former Employee - Barista in Summit, NJ
Former Employee - Barista in Summit, NJ

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product (coffee) is both high quality and interesting, and Starbucks has frequent paid training sessions to learn more about it. "Baristas" get treated with more dignity and respect than most other food service jobs. All employees get healthcare and a 401(k), very rare for low-level jobs.

Cons

Like any customer service job, the customers are the worst part. Starbucks trains its regulars to feel comfortable ordering any and every possible variation to their drinks, and customers abuse this privilege. You will frequently receive orders like a "venti soy vanilla chai, 2 pumps vanilla, 3 and-a-half pumps chai, 190 degrees, light foam, with cinnamon topping", and the customer will demand the whole thing remade if anything is slightly off. Unlike other stores, at Starbucks you are expected to obey the customer's every whim, no matter how ridiculous.

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

1. Yes, it really is an awesome company to work for.

Current Employee - Barista in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Barista in Irving, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-People are FUNKY! And so fun, at least at my location. -You're a part of something caring and great and people love it, I mean yeah I don't value the syrups and stuff, but I choose not to drink it. -benefits of course. -you can transfer ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, if they have a spot for you, I might transfer to France eventually! -super flexible scheduling!

Cons

-Once you move up, it's all about keeping yourself moving up, not a fan personally, but for some that's what they want. -The clientelle can get bitchy, but they just want they signature drink. -I wish the company would carry through utmost quality that they have with a lot of things with EVERY thing, but considering how big the company is...it's understandable.

Advice to Management

Hmm, not much really, just keep improving product for the better of the client, organic, local, a bit of a day dream, but a possibility in the future.

2. Great company that focuses on not only the customers and environment, but what they do.

Current Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and if you are a full-time college student, like myself, it is a great job in which you can move up the corporate ladder.

Cons

You smell like coffee, if you are a Barista.

Advice to Management

Make Starbucks more of a warm coffee shop that people where people want to stay and enjoy. Have books, have a fireplace, make it lively yet cozy.