Starbucks is great

Current Employee - Barista in Long Beach, CA
Current Employee - Barista in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits for part time job

Cons

Hard to move up if you cannot give more than 25 hours a week to work. Waking up as early as 3am to get to work is something you never adjust to.

Advice to Management

Groom barista talent better

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. For the most part it has been a decent company to work for

Current Employee - Barista/Barista Trainer in Suwanee, GA
    Current Employee - Barista/Barista Trainer in Suwanee, GA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Healthcare benefits to part time employees. They offer a couple of select free online classes at Strayer' s University which add up to about $4,000 in value which is unheard of in most similar jobs in other restaurants or cafes.

Cons

Hourly pay is minimum wage and raises are few and far between, even when you go above and beyond raises are small. I had a very high score on my review as I really put my all in to cleanliness of store and know all there is to know for quasa audits. I am super nice to customers and they keep on coming back. Yet I have been with the company over two years and have only received 1 dollar an hour more in pay. A young boy that is still in high school was hired and I over heard him talking to a shift supervisor. He was hired at 30 cents less than what I am making know. I helped train him! That was very discouraging and I feel like its gender discrimination since I have kids and am a women.

Advice to Management

Reward hard working and knowledgeable partners that have proved there selves. Pay attention to what's going on with your partners. It's important to know who is being productive. Hiring your friends is okay if you want other employees to think that only the suckers work hard what counts is sucking up. Its not a good idea in the long run and causes ill feelings when there appears to be a conflict of interest. Make sure that you pay your women employees as much as you do your male employees. Gender Discrimination is higher when there is a female that has to measure another females work.

2. At least you get free coffee

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free coffee, free coffee, and tips. girls in bikinis

Cons

micromanaging, pay, getting called in on your day off. other people being lazy. etc etc.

Advice to Management

stop micromanaging... and pay people more.