There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Unique product - truly a company in the people business (serving coffee)

Current Employee - Senior Specialist, Human Resources in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Specialist, Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There's great satisfaction working for a company whose history and core are built on the human experience. We continuously come back to that to drive business decisions.

Cons

Currently the company is struggling in balancing core values (commitment to people) with the aggressive business growth strategy. It's not an easy task to balance unwielding commitment to customers, employees, and community while living up to the responsibility we have to Wall Street. I believe our leaders are doing their best to uphold both, but many of those in professional services are paying the price.

Advice to Management

Prioritize, be transparent, and listen to your people. We are trying our best to hold the duct tape and bubble gum as we do believe strongly in the mission, but we need a bit of courageous leadership right now to get us to tomorrow. Cut the fat (ie chair warmers), reward the hard workers, and believe in the possibilities of your people.

Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks

Great jobs for students.

Former Employee - Barista
    Former Employee - Barista

I worked at Starbucks part-time

Pros

I worked here throughout high school and some of college. I was hired at 16, but I don't think that happens too often anymore. Fun atmosphere, fast-paced so I was never bored, (mostly) cool people I worked with, and they make it very clear what's expected of you as an entry-level barista. The work can be physically tiring but it's not intellectually challenging. It's fun getting to know regular customers. Oh and free coffee!

Cons

Opening shifts are not fun (I never did this because I was a minor, but I heard all about it). Frequently encountered some disgruntled, unfriendly customers, but this is inevitable - they haven't had their coffee yet! Sometimes co-workers are competitive and that's annoying because baristas should strive to work as a team. The company culture is annoying, too, because they want to be the only coffee chain around.

Advice to Management

Hire and promote from within. In my few years there, I had about six different managers/assistant managers who didn't know what they were doing and didn't care about the company. There are plenty of passionate baristas looking to work their way up - encourage it more!

2. they take very good care of their partners, management not so much...

Pros

part time workers can get full benefits free coffee company truly cares about partners, unheard of these days

Cons

management gets unrealistic deadlines and stress level very high